16 x 12 Coop

Pics
Nice!
Article looks good!

Couple questions/thoughts.
Does the piece with the feed holes clear the screw heads for easy lift off?

Like that the cover lifts off but how stable is it, slot look kinda shallow?
Screwed or glued on?

What is depth and width of trough?
You'll see how Mk III works, but Mk IV might have an angled trough?
(table saw noodling)

1587817183181.png

Nice!
Article looks good!

Couple questions/thoughts.
Does the piece with the feed holes clear the screw heads for easy lift off?

Like that the cover lifts off but how stable is it, slot look kinda shallow?
Screwed or glued on?

What is depth and width of trough?
You'll see how Mk III works, but Mk IV might have an angled trough?
(table saw noodling)

View attachment 2106887

Yes the top comes off under the carriage bolts.

The roost guard is stable in the slot.

The back part the roost guard fits into is glued on.

Mk II had an angled trough. With something as small as this I don't see the need to have it angled, when they are done using it I'll just take the lid off and empty it out. In the Mk II I topped it off daily just below the top, low enough so they could not bill it out.

Hmm it's 2" tall, the bottom is 1/2" the top is 1/4" so 1 1/4" deep and the hole saw was 1 3/4" so its 1 3/4" wide.

JT

Got one of the draft eliminators done this morning, I hope I have enough plastic sheet to finish the other one. The chicks need a draft free room to start out in.

window-31.jpg window-32.jpg

5 days till they ship...

JT

You getting chicken excited fever yet?

Yea the closer the ship date the more anxious I get and start to fret over the details of the build. Then there's the dreaded wait while USPS brings them to Poplar Bluff from Lebanon. You would think it's only two days but it takes three. and yea I'll be at the Post Office when they unlock the door and say "got any peepers for me" and they grin and hand you the box.

JT

Yea the closer the ship date the more anxious I get and start to fret over the details of the build. Then there's the dreaded wait while USPS brings them to Poplar Bluff from Lebanon. You would think it's only two days but it takes three. and yea I'll be at the Post Office when they unlock the door and say "got any peepers for me" and they grin and hand you the box.

JT
Build wise I have no doubt you have that down pat, and it will be great.

USPS wise, ya that bothered me also, so I did the bad boy thing and found all mine local (with in an hour or so from the house, like you I’m on a dirt road off a dirt road so takes 10 minutes to find hard top), and went and picked them up.

Got some more 8mill plastic and finished up the draft stopper for the east window. I can now close off all drafts inside the coop to keep the peepers warm.
window-33.jpg

Added a thermometer to the brooder to know the general ambient temperature in the brooder. I have a floor thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature at chick feet level.
brooder-25.jpg

I even managed to get the chip guard (tripping device) installed in the door.
door06.jpg

Ship day Wednesday... I told the guy that wants me to build a fence for him it will be mid May before I start.

JT

Back
Top Bottom