17 day developing egg got cold, is there any hope?

gwilann

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2018
Hi,
I’m a newbie at this. I have a silkie who has been sitting on a couple eggs for 17 days. This afternoon my dear boyfriend thought he was removing a fresh egg laid by another chicken from the coop and left it sitting in a basket outside on our patio. It had apparently rolled away from the nest so that was why he got confused, although it hadn’t been out from under her for that long at that point because I had checked her and her eggs just before that and they had been fine. Anyway, after he removed it it was about six hours before I found it and realized what had happened. I know it was formerly alive two days ago when I candled it. Now I see no movement in the egg but I did go ahead and put it back under her. We are in California so it was about 58 degrees out when I found the egg. My question is if there is any hope for that baby?

May take a day or two longer, may not but I'd give it a chance :fl Update us in about a week :fl

My Grand Daughter had been hiding an egg from her Mom when they clean coop on weekends. Then one day an egg appears & it's veined :rolleyes: My Grand Daughter is "sneaky", my Daughter was furious cause the Silkies are for FFA class & kept at the school cause of their HOA. Long story short, this weekend being a long weekend plus a storm heading their way, my Daughter brought the Silkies home. Made up the guest shower stall, got work at 6:15am by the Roo :gig after telling me he's really quiet :lau"Bubbles" hatched on Good Friday against all odds. Meet "Bubbles"

2019 Farrell - 04 Bubbles.jpg

I haven't tried candling since putting it back under mama, but so far there is no signs of anything from that egg or the other she is sitting on. Today is day 20, so maybe tomorrow or the next few days something might happen. Is it okay to candle again at some point? I've been afraid to touch it.

I haven't tried candling since putting it back under mama, but so far there is no signs of anything from that egg or the other she is sitting on. Today is day 20, so maybe tomorrow or the next few days something might happen. Is it okay to candle again at some point? I've been afraid to touch it.
I'd just wait and see, no need to interfere during the last few days.

Back
Top Bottom