18 Degrees Hens Outside?

Chic's Chickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Monroe, WA
It has been very cold here in the NW the past week. Tonight it is already 18 degrees and for some reason those silly birds are sleeping on the pearch in there run! For the past few nights I have had a red heat lamp on (during the day too so water doesn't freeze) and closed the doors on there insulated coop ( at night only) .... Why are they sleeping outside tonight????

Is there a thermometer in the coop? What is the temp.

Guess you know how we feel in July when it's 115 outside.

It should get down to 30 here tonight... my chooks are doing fine.

If they're staying outside of their own free will, then they're fine. Mine will stay outside down to about 0°F before calling Uncle and heading into the coop. I only close them in when it's below 0F. Don't worry... they'll know when it's too cold.

Chic's Chickens :

Thank you! I guess I am a bit of a worry wart...

It's ok... you're not alone.
smile.png

Watch them for signs of discomfort. If you see them outside just huddling, kick them back to the coop. Sometimes you just can't keep them inside, though.
But if you haven't pampered them too much, their feather coats should be sufficient to keep them warm.
hugs.gif

I heard it was 8°F this morning near Tumwater... we've been in the 20s all day here! LOL! It's 14F now, though. I think everyone's gone in for the night, but there's always one or two that like to sleep outside, no matter what.
smile.png
silly birds.

I was alarmed because I have NEVER seen them do this. They ALWAYS go in at dark. They are still young... They are not set in there ways I guess

I have learned over the past years you can't out think a chicken. All you can do is provide a good living space, water, food and a few snacks and watch them. They will do what they want. Sprinkle in some love, sit back and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom