18 weeks … should we expect eggs?

LynnTXchickenmom

Chirping
Aug 22, 2022
Hi there,
This is our first time farming chickens. We have 18 Rhode Island Red hens and one rooster. We live in the Dallas area, Texas. In December, we have 10 hours between sunrise and sunset with about 30 min more of light in the sky (twilight).

Our chickens just turned 18 weeks old. We are of course looking for eggs—the cheapest store eggs are now $4.03 doz, so naturally we’d like a return on our investment as soon as possible. No eggs yet. (We consume 5-7 dozen eggs per week!)

In your experience, will first year RIRs begin laying in the winter? Also, l filled the nesting boxes with straw and put in decoy eggs. We just gave the chickens access to the nesting boxes two weeks ago (so they’d learn to sleep on the roosts. It worked for all but 3. There’s a ton of roost space left, but 3 hens sleep huddled in a corner.). The hens haven’t been exploring the nesting boxes; they just ignore them. Of course there are plenty of more interesting places outside in the large run, where they spend all daylight hours—our winter weather is mild. High of 60 today. Will the hens naturally take an interest in the nesting boxes when the urge to lay comes upon them and go there?

Thanks for your advice.

When the combs get bright cherry red, and swollen, about 4 weeks later. If you don't have a rooster, they will squat for you - about 1-2 weeks from that.

If you have a mature rooster, about 2 weeks after he begins to breed them, but with a cockerel - they will get anything they can catch. Do keep an eye on him, you may have to separate him for a few weeks, if he begins to bully the pullets before they are ready.

I would expect them to be right around that 22 weeks - keep the nests shut up until closer to 22 weeks, or you find an egg. It is quite common for the first eggs NOT to be in the nests. But if you open them the nests then, it is kind of like "OH here is a good place!"

Mrs K

Here are pictures. The one with the big red comb is the one we think is a rooster.

Attachments

• B44B3A80-BE46-4D70-AAAA-6B34FC1033AC.jpeg
    B44B3A80-BE46-4D70-AAAA-6B34FC1033AC.jpeg
    729.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 5B0C9EF0-4AEF-4761-9867-122A58CA839A.jpeg
    5B0C9EF0-4AEF-4761-9867-122A58CA839A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • C63F6F2B-FEDC-4C2A-B597-96579A99DA68.jpeg
    C63F6F2B-FEDC-4C2A-B597-96579A99DA68.jpeg
    691.9 KB · Views: 20
Here are pictures. The one with the big red comb is the one we think is a rooster.
Yes, he is definitely a rooster! :) Your girls combs and waddles will not be that large but they will get pretty red like his when they get close to laying. I agree with the others here 20-22 weeks is likely. Mine first little flock are 17 weeks so I completely understand the excitement:) but I suspect we are both going to have to wait a bit longer for eggs.

Good looking group of birds! The one with the large red comb is a male. The girls don't look ready to lay quite yet. Likely will be a few more weeks. Their comb will get a bit larger and plump up. It will be very red like your male's.

The fact that they haven't shown interest in the nests (and haven't gone in there to mess them up) is another sign that they aren't close yet, in addition to the reddening of faces and combs and wattles.

Back
Top Bottom