18th day of incubating 19 eggs

chickenfarmer96

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 6, 2013
Went to turn the eggs this morning, no internal/external pips yet, hoping to see some external pips tonight before lockdown or tommorow morning
big_smile.png
. How are your hatches going?
D.gif

usually chick hatch through the air cell end of course. it will pop through the air cell use up the air, then poke a hole out the egg rest for another 24 hrs and then hatch. when it comes out the side, there is no breathing of the air cell 24 hrs then poking and out side hole and breathing another 24 hr rest time. so it may be 48 hrs after s side poke before it tries to hatch just be patient. and aslong as it can breath it will be ok and come out when it is ready.

Two pipped at pointy end (probably not turned far enough as I was being extra careful with floating air sacs). One has made it out safely. Plus two others have hatched normally. :)

It was funny, I had not had anychicks hatch through the pointy end. then one day I was talking to a lady about it and my next hatch had that. wild.

My first ever hatch and I'm on day 19 but with only 3 eggs. I'm so nervous, trying not to look in the incubator. I had 4, eggs one quit around day 5. But all the other 3 were alive and moving at day 17. Plus they are local eggs so egg cells look good. I just hope something hatches!

I can hear one egg cheeping at me :) I know this is a good sign but I am soooo nervous now. I touched the egg and can feel it pecking internally. How long does its usually take to peck a hole? It's only day 19 boy can that thing talk! It can't run out of air can it? I really want everything to go smoothly. I know walking away and not staring in the bator is probably the best thing to do, but right now not an option!

Peeping in egg outside hole will happen in 24 hrs then with a small hole it rests another24 hrs till hatch. so if it doesn't do anything for a while don't worry it is using yolk it will hatch and it can breathe so it is good.

Out of 19 eggs, 17 of them made it to day 19, out of those 19, 6 or 7 peeped on the pointed end. Of those 7 none survived. out of the other 12 eggs, 10 chicks hatched and are doing fine. My opinion on chicks that hatch on the pointed end, They will not survive. the other two eggs didn't hatch at all and were discarded, now we are going to start collecting eggs and do 1 more incubation this year. We need to make sure that we turn them the 3 times a day, because we would end up turning morning & night and forget about afternoon because were always busy, or gone. Overall, the hatch went very well, and i just wanted to say thank you to all the BYC people who helped me along the hatch giving me tips, to prevent things that could have happened to make my hatch turning out different
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom