18th Day Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jan336, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Jan336

Jan336 Songster

I put my eggs in the incubator on Feb. 21st at 3 pm. Would my 18th day be 11th at 3pm to start lock down? Or the 10th at 3pm? I look at this different ways, and I need to decide safely and quickly. Also any much needed advice for a newbie doing the 18th day process and lock down is greatly appreciated in advance. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. enggass

enggass Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I believe the 11th at 3pm...

3. Jan336

Jan336 Songster

I am only concerned about date because I have the eggs in a auto-turner and do not want to look and find chicks crushed from a 24 hour difference. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  4. enggass

enggass Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:Not sure what you mean about the turner hurting any babies/hatches in your other post.
    For lockdown, at the end of day 18, stop the turner or turning and raise your humidity levels, then wait - it is not recommended you open the 'bator during the final 3 days, although some do to remove htaches. The level of humidity for hatch is up to you... Some people have better luck at 55%-60% other say 60%-70% some may even recommend going higher. Ask others who have the same 'bator and egg type what they have had the most success with. I am in the middle of my first hatch as well but have gathered all of this info from searching and reading these forums...

5. enggass

enggass Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:I see what you are saying - chances are you will not get anything that early unless you have been running temps too high...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: