18w old chickens don’t roost? Will they ever?

Do they have to roost ? Will it be harmful to them if they don’t?
In my opinion, no. As someone mentioned, some Silkies don't roost. Chicks in a brooder don't generally roost. When you move chicks from a brooder to the coop they often don't roost for several weeks. Broody hens keep chicks on the coop floor or maybe in a low nest until they take them to the roosts. None of these are injured or harmed by not roosting.

I personally don't worry about where they sleep as long as it is not in my nests and is somewhere predator safe. I just don't see any harm if they don't roost.

You don’t need a 24’ board. You could use three 8’ boards (regular 2x4 studs, wide side flat instead of narrow side up) attached end to end down one side using heavy duty shelf brackets, and could have ladders going lengthwise instead of across. I will try to do a sketch or some photos to describe that better.

You can repurpose the boards you used for the current roosts to go around the windows on the inside to secure the hardware cloth a little better.
Wide side flat is better for them??
You don’t need a 24’ board. You could use three 8’ boards (regular 2x4 studs, wide side flat instead of narrow side up) attached end to end down one side using heavy duty shelf brackets, and could have ladders going lengthwise instead of across. I will try to do a sketch or some photos to describe that better.

You can repurpose the boards you used for the current roosts to go around the windows on the inside to secure the hardware cloth a little better.
Thank you so much for this! I’m not a builder by any means but I can do this, the sketch does make sense! They would like it better with the wife side flat?? I read somewhere they like it smaller then there feet so they can grip it?

If you follow this link you'll see that chickens don't really care if the 2x4's are flat or on edge.

The perch experiment | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

I did not do this experiment but did a separate one of my own many years ago. My conclusion was that the chickens don't care if the 2x4 is flat or on edge or if you use a round tree branch. But people care a lot.

I did try them both ways for my chickens and they all seemed to prefer flat, especially as they have gotten bigger. You can do it either way, but the main reason I said flat is because it is much easier to screw them to the shelf brackets that way.

Also I forgot to say earlier to make sure the shelf brackets say they will support at least 50 pounds. That way three per board should be plenty strong to support the weight of the chickens.

If I'm wrong on this, someone can feel free to correct me. I personally would not get too excited about my chickens not roosting on the roosts. I've provided the equipment but they have to choose to use it. If they are happier on the ground or in a nesting box, then so be it. I don't fight them, especially since it's at night time when I'm in my house enjoying the evening hours and not really having any desire to go out and check on my girls unless I suspect there's a threat or something. I figure they'll do whatever is most comfortable for them when they are resting.

We introduced them to there forever coop about 2 weeks ago. They have about 30ft of roosting space for 20 hens and 6 roosters, we think, maybe less roosters. But at least 4 roosters. Anyways, the roosts are about 4ft off the ground, all the same level, and they have a ladder. I’ll post a pic. Will they learn to roost?? We’ve put them all up there and they all just like to cuddle in the corner on the ground. Do they have to roost ? Will it be harmful to them if they don’t?
Personal because of my chickens not roosting but wanting to be as high as possible, I would make them a nice huddling area up off the ground. See if they like that. From what I've read, it's best if they are up off the ground. I should probably include, mine have huddled from the very beginning and they are now 8 months old and want only to sleep together. One even sticks her head under anyone's wing that will let her. They are great layers and seem perfectly happy with the way things are. I've never took the roosts down, they use them to move about the coop, which is my garage.

Back
Top Bottom