19.75 days and 5 eggs are pipping!

Kakaruk

Songster
Feb 18, 2020
Hi, I put 12 green and brown eggs (barnyard mix) into my incubator 19.75 days ago and 5 of 12 are now pipping, or at least cracking the egg some!!!! Yay! I just wanted to share. I can try to do pics later today or tomorrow. I started lockdown Thursday night and my humidity has been close to 70 % since then.

Ok, so one has hatched! 4 are pipping and the other 7 have done zilch, nada. I am on day 20 officially......

Attachments

• IMG_3358[1].JPG
    IMG_3358[1].JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3348[1].JPG
    IMG_3348[1].JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3351[1].JPG
    IMG_3351[1].JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3356[1].JPG
    IMG_3356[1].JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 4
Ok, so this morning there were five hatched completely, two more pipping/breaking the shell. So four I still don't see any cracks yet. I am so tempted to take the five hatchlings out put them under a heat lamp and give them food and water but I DO NOT want to kill any of the remaining by 'shrink-wrapping' the membrane. I guess it's call lockdown for a reason!
IMG_3362[1].JPG

Ok, so this morning there were five hatched completely, two more pipping/breaking the shell. So four I still don't see any cracks yet. I am so tempted to take the five hatchlings out put them under a heat lamp and give them food and water but I DO NOT want to kill any of the remaining by 'shrink-wrapping' the membrane. I guess it's call lockdown for a reason!View attachment 2170030
Good choice! If there isn’t an external pip on any of the left-over eggs you can take your little chickies out :D

Yes thanks! I like the spotted one too. It looks like an Ewok!

I do not know exactly, they are a 'barnyard mix' that I got from my neighbor who has eight roosters. All the eggs are green or brown. I know there are some 'olive egger' genes floating around in that flock as well as maybe Wyandotte, Wellsummer, speckled Sussex, and other genes. She has had her flock for 15 years, I think they're all mixed up, probably not a pure breed in any of them anymore.

Ok, so six have hatched, one is still pipping with beak out but little progress, and 5 have not pipped at all. I think I know the answer to this but is it safe to take the chicks out if the others haven't pipped? Does membrane shrinkage only happen after a pip or before a pip?

Ok, so six have hatched, one is still pipping with beak out but little progress, and 5 have not pipped at all. I think I know the answer to this but is it safe to take the chicks out if the others haven't pipped? Does membrane shrinkage only happen after a pip or before a pip?
It’s safe to take them out if none are currently pipping.

Back
Top Bottom