19 and a half weeks old and still no eggs :( egg countdown anyone??

Quote:
So are you wondering what you could add to get some more color to your egg basket? My dark egg was from a Welsummer; they lay dark coppery eggs. Marans also lay a very dark chocolate egg; I'm getting one tomorrow! If you want blue/green eggs of the lighter Easter Egg variety, get some Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas. If you want something very light cream colored but not white, consider Faverolles (my next project in the spring!!). If you want an olive egger you can't always guarantee what breeds will produce which color olive eggs, but my olive eggs is a Marans crossed with an Ameraucana. Marans crossed with any lighter egg color (even tan egg layers) will lighten up the chocolate color because Marans dark egg color is from a recessive gene. If mixed with a light green egg layer, resulting chickens will lay olive eggs. HTH!

Ok, I have a question about this "squatting" thing. My ee did it before she started laying but I thought she was just getting friendlier and letting me pet her. Now my 22 week RSL is doing it for me and she hates to be touched. Is this a defensive behavior or is it really related to laying? I've heard others say there's will do it even when a large bird flies overhead. Please say it's related to laying - I'm so tired of waiting. : )

OK... weird weird stuff going on....

I really don't have a visual on what squatting is so when i let the chickies out this afternoon i stood around
watching them to see if i could see anything.. They love to come out and zoom out of the coop at top speed
when I open it. (they have to stay inside until i get back from work because of the dogs).... Soooooo

there i am standing around, I have a buttercup who flies up and sits on my shoulder which she was doing....
and then suddenly they all took off running as fast as their little legs would go, all back into the coop...
one faverolle was left behind and she was sitting behind a garbage can making noises... shes' still sitting
there and the others now won't come out of the coop, they are all sitting on the floor iniside?????

so i was wondering if the faverolle was going to lay an egg but Nooooo she is just still sitting behind
the garbage can..

this is very very weird and still no eggs today either :(....

L

Ok, I have a question about this "squatting" thing. My ee did it before she started laying but I thought she was just getting friendlier and letting me pet her. Now my 22 week RSL is doing it for me and she hates to be touched. Is this a defensive behavior or is it really related to laying? I've heard others say there's will do it even when a large bird flies overhead. Please say it's related to laying - I'm so tired of waiting. : )

It's what they do when they are about to be mounted by a rooster. It's a submission thing, not fear or defensive. They tend to start squatting near when they are getting ready to lay eggs, which is coincidentally approximately when they start to mate. It doesn't always mean they are super close to laying eggs, but close enough!

Back
Top Bottom