19 and a half weeks old and still no eggs :( egg countdown anyone??

Ok, now my rooster has started to mate with one of my hens. She was hunkered down in the nest box this morning but when I came home from work there was no egg. Will she begin to lay soon? She's 20 weeks old now and my oldest hens are 23 weeks. I'm getting impatient!
he.gif

Ok, now my rooster has started to mate with one of my hens. She was hunkered down in the nest box this morning but when I came home from work there was no egg. Will she begin to lay soon? She's 20 weeks old now and my oldest hens are 23 weeks. I'm getting impatient!
he.gif
I'm feeling the same way!!! My rooster just started to mate with my 19 week old EE so I'm guessing that means she must be mature enough to start laying soon! She's been squatting some too and letting us pet her. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!
barnie.gif

I was thinking the same thing.........if she's mature enough to mate she should be mature enough to lay an egg.

So get busy already....it's time to start earning your keep!

D.gif

I was thinking the same thing.........if she's mature enough to mate she should be mature enough to lay an egg.

So get busy already....it's time to start earning your keep!

D.gif

I'm feeling the same way!!! My rooster just started to mate with my 19 week old EE so I'm guessing that means she must be mature enough to start laying soon! She's been squatting some too and letting us pet her. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!
barnie.gif

he.gif
VERY SOOOON! Mating means they are sexually mature and almost there! 19 may be a little young but both my Leghorn and Ameracauna layed at 16-17 weeks. 23 is pretty good. Also remember that breed can be an issue too. Some are just natural late bloomers.

My Silky was 8 months old before she started laying. Her first egg was so tiny that when my Granddaughter found the egg in the yard she didn't think it was real. My Silky is still tiny. Named her "Itty Bitty".

Since she began laying in Jan 2012 to now, she has been broody twice. That's her to the left. She is now raising 3 chicks from the Showgirl Roo behind her.
8 months!!!!
th.gif
My little white one Carlisle is so stinkin cute tiny. I worry for her, though around the feet of my horses. She hangs with my Showgirl Roo (they were hatched at the same time) also. My two cotton balls, I called them when they were little, jumping at each other.
Oh man, I guess I gotta wait.

barnie.gif
hugs.gif
You mean Easter - Egg Hunt daily, right?
gig.gif
It's unbearable when NO ONE is laying out of 12 hens....EEEEK!
rant.gif
pop.gif
caf.gif

Well, I was all bummed about getting my first little egg then nothing for almost a week. Patience pays object, however, and all my scraps, scratches, and BOSS were nicely rewarded with egg #2 on Thursday.

Got a nice little egg Thursday afternoon, and one more waiting in the nest box this morning. About 20 hours between eggs must mean I have 2 of 12 laying, right? ?

Last edited:
Well, I was all bummed about getting my first little egg then nothing for almost a week. Patience pays object, however, and all my scraps, scratches, and BOSS were nicely rewarded with egg #2 on Thursday.
Got a nice little egg Thursday afternoon, and one more waiting in the nest box this morning. About 20 hours between eggs must mean I have 2 of 12 laying, right? ?
That sounds right. They're supposed to take 25 hours minimum between eggs. I've got 6 Australorps, and I have yet to get six eggs at once (we regularly get 5 per day). The first four started laying at about 18 1/2 weeks, and the fifth one didn't start until a month or so later (they are now 28 weeks old today)...I'm now anxious for our next 2 groups (8 Buff Orps, 7 SLWs) to start. They'll be 17 weeks this Tuesday, but if other comments are any indication, it may be awhile before they start. (Especially with winter approaching.)

I keep telling my chickens they need to lay now....but it doesn't work.
lau.gif
So I just go to my moms house and take her fresh eggs, thats what parents are for right? My hens are all around 19-20 weeks, a production red, silver campine, sicilian buttercup, EE, BSL. The only ones with wattles or combs are the buttercup and campine but they have had theirs for weeks, not getting any redder, still just pinkish. My roo is getting frisky with the buttercup but still no eggs. I guess when I don't expect it it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom