19 weeks and no eggs yet for my Barred Rocks

Jul 8, 2023
After looking at several places regarding the age of egg laying for my breed, mine seem to be behind the curve. Barred Rocks are an early layer. I was also watching a video which talks about the physical signs showing a hen is nearing ready to lay eggs. Age, comb and waddle development and squatting behavior. Most of my girls don't have bright red waddles or combs. I have about 5 who do. They are all the same age and from the same source. Is it possible that I'm not feeding them what they need to become mature layers or am I just being too anxious? They have been on an egg layer formula with extra calcium from 16 weeks. I also give them a 'snack' every day of either fruit, dried fly larva, or something else that is safe for them. NOT a large portion but enough that they each get a few bites. Should I be giving them something else?
We do have one older Easter Egger hen who lays daily. The littles watch her so I expect they know where eggs should be laid. They are not free range chickens, as I have too many predators about. I would know if they were laying and I look every day with anticipation.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I think you just need to chill a bit ; )
Chickens go by their own timetable, not what we would like them to, and 19 weeks is still pretty early.
Most of mine (not BRs though) don't lay until around 20 to 25 weeks. And even if someone says they should start laying early, they might well have a differnet strain to yours.
The only thing I could think of that might not be helping, is most layer feeds only have 16% protein, which is a bit to low in many cases. You can feed grower feed as long as you have oyster shells out for them, and that should have more protein in it.
But I wouldn't worry to much :)

Last edited:
I think you just need to chill a bit ; )
Chickens go by their own timetable, not what we would like them to, and 19 weeks is still pretty early.
Most of mine (not BRs though) don't lay until around 20 to 25 weeks. And even if someone says they should start laying early, they might well have a differnet strain to yours.
The only thing I could think of that might not be helping, is most layer feeds only have 16% protein, which is a bit to low in many cases. You can feed grower feed as long as you have oyster shells out for them, and that should have more protein in it.
But I wouldn't worry to much :)
Thanks for the advice. I was told that after 8 weeks they were supposed to go to an "all-in-one" with the 16% protein or I could harm their kidneys. I changed at about 10 weeks. So did I deprive them of protein that they needed? Should I give them some high protein snacks now to make up for it? Or change the whole flock back to a grower feed? I have an adult rooster and hen that share everything with them.

Thanks for the advice. I was told that after 8 weeks they were supposed to go to an "all-in-one" with the 16% protein or I could harm their kidneys. I changed at about 10 weeks. So did I deprive them of protein that they needed? Should I give them some high protein snacks now to make up for it? Or change the whole flock back to a grower feed? I have an adult rooster and hen that share everything with them.
So the 'standard' advice like what is given by feed companies, is to have them on chick starter or grower until a couple of weeks before laying, and then go on to layer. (what you did)
The main reason they say to feed layer, is because it has more calcium in it, but at the same time layer feed is based on the lowest requirements for laying hens if they only eat that.
That might work in commercial settings, but when back yard chicken keepers feed them a bit of greens, and scraps, that dilutes the protein.
So what you did is what many many people end up doing, so I wouldn't worry about it, but in the long run you could improve it.
I feed a 18% protein grower feed to all my flock, which is also good for the roosters, (to much calcium is bad for them) so you could certainly do that.
Just make sure they have easy access to oyster shells, so the laying hens can take as much or little as they want.
You could give a few snacks, but remember many of the high protein treats like eggs or meal worms tend to also be high in fat, so give them in moderation!

I'm pretty sure 1 out of 3 of my barred rocks started laying yesterday. They will be 21 weeks on Tuesday. My speckled sussex were the first to start laying at 19 weeks

So the 'standard' advice like what is given by feed companies, is to have them on chick starter or grower until a couple of weeks before laying, and then go on to layer. (what you did)
The main reason they say to feed layer, is because it has more calcium in it, but at the same time layer feed is based on the lowest requirements for laying hens if they only eat that.
That might work in commercial settings, but when back yard chicken keepers feed them a bit of greens, and scraps, that dilutes the protein.
So what you did is what many many people end up doing, so I wouldn't worry about it, but in the long run you could improve it.
I feed a 18% protein grower feed to all my flock, which is also good for the roosters, (to much calcium is bad for them) so you could certainly do that.
Just make sure they have easy access to oyster shells, so the laying hens can take as much or little as they want.
You could give a few snacks, but remember many of the high protein treats like eggs or meal worms tend to also be high in fat, so give them in moderation!
Thank you VERY MUCH! I will look into this.

Back
Top Bottom