19 weeks and no eggs yet for my Barred Rocks

After looking at several places regarding the age of egg laying for my breed, mine seem to be behind the curve. Barred Rocks are an early layer. I was also watching a video which talks about the physical signs showing a hen is nearing ready to lay eggs. Age, comb and waddle development and squatting behavior. Most of my girls don't have bright red waddles or combs. I have about 5 who do. They are all the same age and from the same source. Is it possible that I'm not feeding them what they need to become mature layers or am I just being too anxious? They have been on an egg layer formula with extra calcium from 16 weeks. I also give them a 'snack' every day of either fruit, dried fly larva, or something else that is safe for them. NOT a large portion but enough that they each get a few bites. Should I be giving them something else?
We do have one older Easter Egger hen who lays daily. The littles watch her so I expect they know where eggs should be laid. They are not free range chickens, as I have too many predators about. I would know if they were laying and I look every day with anticipation.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Well, I certainly understand your concern, and not being an expert at all either, I was wondering the very same thing, until the 20th week hit. WOW! My little over 20 week Rock Barred, Sweetie, started laying one egg a day from August 1st. She just gave me her 11th egg today! I'm thrilled. I do make sure that my hens have plenty of calcium, in the form of oyster pellets mixed in their food. This helps them push the egg out. Right now, my two other fancy birds, my glamour girl, Easter Egger Joy, and Gold Laced Wing Wyandotte, Sugar are the same age as my Rock Barred, and haven't even spoken to me about laying any eggs! Some kind people on here told me, to my relief, that some species don't even start laying until 6 or 7 months, and even then they may not start until January of NEXT YEAR! That's OK. At least now I know that. Here's Sweetie, my egg laying Rock Barred.

Attachments

• IMG_4826.JPG
    IMG_4826.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 8
Put them in a separate cup or container so the birds can take them as needed. Some hens may need more or less calcium than others.
May I shouldn't do this, but I've been just mixing the pellets with their food. They're all going to need it, and they'll pick out what they want.

May I shouldn't do this, but I've been just mixing the pellets with their food. They're all going to need it, and they'll pick out what they want.
They all need different amounts of calcium, so depending on how hard the pieces are to push aside some birds that don't need it may be intaking it. Especially since not all your birds are laying yet, that could be months of excess calcium intake and build up that won't show any effect over a short period of time, but could cause organ issues down the line. Obviously if you plan on butchering the flock regularly for new layers that won't be a concern as the cumulative effect of excess calcium can take years to show.

I find it easier to keep an eye on calcium intake and to minimize waste/mess all around by keeping everything separate. However I do admit to doing a lot of micromanaging that most chicken keepers don't have time for.

By pellets, I presume you mean calcium? If so, then please don't. Generally speaking, calcium and grit (not the same thing) should be kept in separate containers from their feed. That will allow your birds to regulate how much they get of each.

Oh. oh.... I've already mixed some oyster pellets.... too late. I don't mix the grit, but leave it out for them to get if they want it. I really haven't seen any of them touch the grit. Don't know why.

Oh. oh.... I've already mixed some oyster pellets.... too late. I don't mix the grit, but leave it out for them to get if they want it. I really haven't seen any of them touch the grit. Don't know why.
Don’t worry.
Give them a separate dish as well and next time you too uo the feed don’t mix it in. The chickens will decide how much they need.
And in laying time - my Bernadette took 11 months before she laid an egg.
Chickens!
:idunno

They all need different amounts of calcium, so depending on how hard the pieces are to push aside some birds that don't need it may be intaking it. Especially since not all your birds are laying yet, that could be months of excess calcium intake and build up that won't show any effect over a short period of time, but could cause organ issues down the line. Obviously if you plan on butchering the flock regularly for new layers that won't be a concern as the cumulative effect of excess calcium can take years to show.

I find it easier to keep an eye on calcium intake and to minimize waste/mess all around by keeping everything separate. However I do admit to doing a lot of micromanaging that most chicken keepers don't have time for.
I'm not about to butcher my babies! I did think that it was not prudent to suddenly give them calcium just as they started laying eggs. I assumed they would need a build up in their systems so that they would be ready for laying....just goes to show you never can tell. I just don't want them to have trouble laying eggs when the time comes. However, you could have a point that I may just be wasting materials. Sweetie gave me a baker's dozen as of yesterday (13 eggs) ! The pic is from her 9th day of laying.

Attachments

• IMG_4708.JPG
    IMG_4708.JPG
    539.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4991.JPG
    IMG_4991.JPG
    507.7 KB · Views: 5
Don’t worry.
Give them a separate dish as well and next time you too uo the feed don’t mix it in. The chickens will decide how much they need.
And in laying time - my Bernadette took 11 months before she laid an egg.
Chickens!
:idunno
Oh wow! Thanks. I feel so much better about my Easter Egger and my Wyandotte! Little buggers had me worried. Pictured below are my Wyandotte, Sugar, and Joy, my Easter Egger.

Attachments

• IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4988.JPG
    IMG_4988.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom