1900 Gallons of ducky bliss

He just over thinks everything. For him to walk from point A to point B, he has to wander over to point C so the robin doesn't see him, make sure he passes by point D where there is a good little spot to forage, alter his route through point E so that he can get out of the sun a moment, swerve by point F so that the table stays between him and Kaine, and then... where was it he was going again???
gig.gif
Awww that's adorable!!!
gig.gif
I take it he doesn't like Kaine at all?

Awww that's adorable!!!
gig.gif
I take it he doesn't like Kaine at all?
It isn't a matter of not liking him. Kaine is the dominant drake, unquestioned leader of the flock, all powerful duck overlord, supreme ruler of all he surveys and a bit of a jerk. Tevye is a drake of mellowness, an artist, although he is a drake, he is gentle (by duck standards) with the ladies. Tevye likes watching clouds, playing with the randomly tall weed, and taking care of ducklings. (He has protected the newcomers in both flock mergers.) The only time Tevye shows he is #2 in the flock and is aggressive toward anyone (except Tella - for some reason Tevye hates Tella) is when they take food that is in his area and even then, he just gives them a light peck saying, "mine". Tevye is also physically capable (it was proven once) of beating Kaine up even though it is against every grain of his personality.

See https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/919453/tevye-a-really-awesome-duck for a really cool story of how Tevye stood up to Kaine to protect Noir and Mystique when they were introduced to the flock.

Spring, summer, fall hormone levels on a scale of 1-10:

Kaine: 14
Tevye: 6

If Tevye is within 20 feet of Kaine (6 feet in the secure kennel), Kaine will chase him (if it is March - September). Tevye spends most of this time staying out of range. The only reason Kaine goes to jail is because his chasing of Tevye and Greta gets so bad that they are plowing over the other ducks non-stop. When it gets this out of hand, we lock Kaine up.

It isn't a matter of not liking him. Kaine is the dominant drake, unquestioned leader of the flock, all powerful duck overlord, supreme ruler of all he surveys and a bit of a jerk. Tevye is a drake of mellowness, an artist, although he is a drake, he is gentle (by duck standards) with the ladies. Tevye likes watching clouds, playing with the randomly tall weed, and taking care of ducklings. (He has protected the newcomers in both flock mergers.) The only time Tevye shows he is #2 in the flock and is aggressive toward anyone (except Tella - for some reason Tevye hates Tella) is when they take food that is in his area and even then, he just gives them a light peck saying, "mine". Tevye is also physically capable (it was proven once) of beating Kaine up even though it is against every grain of his personality.

See https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/919453/tevye-a-really-awesome-duck for a really cool story of how Tevye stood up to Kaine to protect Noir and Mystique when they were introduced to the flock.

Spring, summer, fall hormone levels on a scale of 1-10:

Kaine: 14
Tevye: 6

If Tevye is within 20 feet of Kaine (6 feet in the secure kennel), Kaine will chase him (if it is March - September). Tevye spends most of this time staying out of range. The only reason Kaine goes to jail is because his chasing of Tevye and Greta gets so bad that they are plowing over the other ducks non-stop. When it gets this out of hand, we lock Kaine up.
Ohh sounds like Tevye is the nicer drake then! He must be a very gentle, calm leader.
smile.png
I'll read that story!

Woah... that's a lot of hormones...
hide.gif
Does Kaine ever pull out the hens neck feathers?

I can definitely see why you have to lock him up! Does Kaine hate Greta too? How do the drakes get along in the winter?

Oops, I started a new thread before seeing this one.

Awesome stuff. There's no greater joy than seeing how happy ducks are in a pool. :) This is our second season doing it. I run a sand filter basically all day during peak season to try and avoid replacing the water. (Along with skimming/vacuuming/etc.) Not exactly low-maintenance but it's worth it.

Opening Day 2017:

0.jpg

Last edited:
Ohh sounds like Tevye is the nicer drake then! He must be a very gentle, calm leader.
smile.png
I'll read that story!

Woah... that's a lot of hormones...
hide.gif
Does Kaine ever pull out the hens neck feathers?

I can definitely see why you have to lock him up! Does Kaine hate Greta too? How do the drakes get along in the winter?
Kaine has enough girls that they usually don't do too bad on the neck feathers... There are a couple that get bare from time to time, but usually there are enough girls (13) for Kaine to not over breed one too much. Kaine has a bit of a right to hate Greta. She picks on everybody and will propose to Kaine then run away but eventually it gets to a point that enough is enough. Tevye and Kaine get along fine in the winter (which is good because they are in fairly close quarters then.)

Oops, I started a new thread before seeing this one.

Awesome stuff. There's no greater joy than seeing how happy ducks are in a pool. :) This is our second season doing it. I run a sand filter basically all day during peak season to try and avoid replacing the water. (Along with skimming/vacuuming/etc.) Not exactly low-maintenance but it's worth it.

Opening Day 2017:

0.jpg
Awesome!!! another person with ramp trained ducks
wink.png
I want to post a link to your thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1165474/born-to-swim#post_18337616 and I would hope you expand it. After all with a big pool like that there are many variables for other people. I don't filter mine, but I have no concern about saving water as I live in a wet land and have a well so flowing a couple thousand gallons of water in and out isn't a big deal for me plus I flow a lot of additional water on the hottest month and a half to control the temperature of the pool so it is mostly free of algae. (which I can do since I live in cooler area.) Also if that's all your ducks, you have a bit less poop to deal with than I do so your water might last longer anyway (making the filtering make even more sense). So I encourage you to expound on your thread (I'm subscribing to it.) I would love nothing more than to get several big poolers to post threads and link them all together so that people with similar circumstances can figure out how best to provide their ducks with this special luxury. There is no question ducks love enough depth to dive in and everyone doesn't have the property or means to let their ducks have a farm pond (and the level of security that requires). I am so excited that you get to enjoy the same ducky bliss I do.
big_smile.png

AAAAAAnd...
welcome-byc.gif

Kaine has enough girls that they usually don't do too bad on the neck feathers... There are a couple that get bare from time to time, but usually there are enough girls (13) for Kaine to not over breed one too much. Kaine has a bit of a right to hate Greta. She picks on everybody and will propose to Kaine then run away but eventually it gets to a point that enough is enough. Tevye and Kaine get along fine in the winter (which is good because they are in fairly close quarters then.)
Oh that's good! Haha, she does sound like a pest!
lol.png
Does she pick on Tevye too? It's a good thing duckz calm down in winter, it makes things a lot easier! How old are your ducks?

Oh that's good! Haha, she does sound like a pest!
lol.png
Does she pick on Tevye too? It's a good thing duckz calm down in winter, it makes things a lot easier! How old are your ducks?
Yeah, Greta picks on Tevye too. She is soooo sweet with us, just not with the other ducks.

Ages:

Tella & Ettie 7/13 Closing in on 4 years old.

Kaine, Tevye, Entie, Dove, Greta, Roxette, Pocahontas 3/17/14 A little over 3 years old.

Rhiannon 3/24/14 A little over 3 years old.

Noir & Mystique 6/9/14 Almost 3 years old.

Casey, Allie, Latte 3/7/16 A little over a year old.

Yeah, Greta picks on Tevye too. She is soooo sweet with us, just not with the other ducks.

Ages:

Tella & Ettie 7/13 Closing in on 4 years old.

Kaine, Tevye, Entie, Dove, Greta, Roxette, Pocahontas 3/17/14 A little over 3 years old.

Rhiannon 3/24/14 A little over 3 years old.

Noir & Mystique 6/9/14 Almost 3 years old.

Casey, Allie, Latte 3/7/16 A little over a year old.
Awww poor Tevye. She must think she's a person!
big_smile.png

Okay! So Tell and Ettie were your first ducks, or did you get them as adults? Have you hatched any of your ducks?

Back
Top Bottom