1ST BROODY HEN!!!!!! need advice/help!!! [pix]

ther00ster'scr0w

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Bay Area CA
So my hen has gone broody...my first broody hen! Very exciting and nerve wrecking! Any ways, this is her, Betsy:
46225_dsc01914.jpg

She's over about 9-10 eggs, a mix of fertile/non fertile (we only have one roosters for 7 hens). I just came back from candling them, and some are obviously not fertile, and I was only able to recognize one (maybe more..) that were already starting to develop veins. she has been broody for about 5 days now. Some eggs were questionable so so far only about 2 re confirmed to hatch. Will this be ok? Or must there be more chicks to be a successful hatch? And I have also looked into getting some more fertile eggs (I can't help myself)..or should I resist the temptation?!

This is where she is broody, and I was thinking of taking down two of the dividers closest to the hen, and put chicken wire on the outside, for the chicks safety. Any help will be appreciated!!!! Thanks!
46225_dsc01912.jpg

I suggest getting rid of any eggs which are not developing, and to NOT add any eggs at this point. You won't want eggs hatching a week apart once they begin hatching.
old.gif

My broody hen hatched just one egg her first time back in December and then two days ago she hatched four out of five!

I like your idea of remvoing the two dividers and adding chicken wire in front of the nest boxes.
thumbsup.gif

Good luck! Relax! The momma will take care of everything!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom