1st egg and questions!

vintage

Songster
Feb 25, 2021
Ky
My 15 week old Starlight Green Egger laid our 1st egg today. She did not go into the nesting box to lay, will she eventually? I also placed a nesting place in their run, do your chickens prefer the run or coop for egg laying? When do I start giving oyster shell?

I have many more questions, I was not expecting an egg for another week or two!

Eta a pic!

Attachments

• 20210625_142658.jpg
    20210625_142658.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Congrats, that’s so egg-citing:jumpy

You can try to put fake eggs in her nesting boxes, to get her to lay in them. That usually works for me.

I don’t give oyster shells unless I get an egg without a shell or something like that. :)

I put golf balls in my nesting boxes, no nests outside they prefer a dark quiet place to lay. What do you feed them? I always have free choice oyster shell on the side. I also dry and save their egg shells crush them up and feed them back to them. Congrats on your beautiful egg!

Attachments

• 20210622_165834.jpg
    20210622_165834.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 11
I put golf balls in my nesting boxes, no nests outside they prefer a dark quiet place to lay. What do you feed them? I always have free choice oyster shell on the side. I also dry and save their egg shells crush them up and feed them back to them. Congrats on your beautiful egg!
Purina start and grow.

Congrats! Putting Easter eggs or Golf balls in the nests will encourage them to lay there, otherwise she'll probably make her way to the nest box eventually.
If you feeding a start and grow, I would start offering OS as soon as you can. They will only eat as much as they need, and the hens who aren't laying won't eat any at all. Once all are laying and you switch to layer, continue to offer OS because they'll still need it from time to time.
If you have roosters or mixed flocks, you can continue to feed start and grow or a flock raiser for their entire life. (I believe that feeding layer to roosters or hens who don't lay increases the risk of kidney damage.) As long as you feed OS on the side. I don't feed layer just because I prefer a higher protein content.

Back
Top Bottom