1st egg from Freedom Ranger hen

crperdue

Songster
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
Lake Waccamaw, NC
We were walking out to the coop this afternoon and found an egg.
It was a nice, brown chicken egg but it was ouside of our pen.

17846_img_0501.jpg

After looking around, look what we found outside the pen as well.

17846_img_0503.jpg

She must have slipped out yesterday when we were cleaning and fixing
the coop. I think its funny that our 1st egg was from an escapee!

Now we just have to see what the offspring of these rangers looks like...

I had one lil FR hen that wasn't worth processing. My 10 year old decided to keep her. She is getting picked on pretty badly so she is the lone ranger now, pun intended. She is the only bird with completely free range of the yard. She has started to sleep on the front porch, I think she wants to come into "our coop".

Quote:
It is exactly like the cornish rock crosses in that Freedom Rangers are a hybrid.
This means that they will not breed true and the offspring will most likely not be
consistently like the parents.

However, that does not mean that the offspring will be worthless. We will have to
hatch out several hundred of them before we really see the results. Hopefully, by
hatching lots of birds and culling heavily, we can come close to the performance
of the initial parent stock. Only time will tell if this is possible or how many generations
it will take. But I can still eat all my "mistakes".
big_smile.png

I held back 8 freedom rangers hens to cross with a red broiler they have been laying for a while now [very small brown eggs] hope to hatch out some just to see what i get! lol:D

While we were processing my FR's pushed the door of the tractor open and bolted into the yard, on of them took off into the woods when i wasn't looking, when we were done processing we counted the birds and were missing one, we looked for about half and hour and gave up, after all chickens stick with their flock and don't just bolt into the woods right... I figured a fox had gotten her a few weeks back. My family went to a friends house to help him do his birds (we were swapping labor) and when we got back the hen was sitting under the grape vines and came walking up to us looking for food, she was really friendly and let me pick her up, so my mom named her lucky and wouldn't let me put her in the freezer, she's now living with 6 barred rock pullets, she started laying good eggs at about 3.5 months.

I found my first Ranger egg about 5 weeks ago. They are still on the small side, although not as small as the first few pullet eggs. Occasionally, one of the eggs is quite dark, I'm guessing from the same hen every time, but it's just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom