1st Egg!

motleychickens

Hatching
Dec 7, 2015
Hi, I found that first egg that one of my hens laid this morning....but is was already cracked open...the shell was very thin...is this normal because it's one of the first eggs? They have been on egg laying feed for long time now. Linda

Your hens will eventually lay normal but for the first couple of eggs it will be strange. Congratulations!

Are you feeding oyster shell on the side? Laying feed may not have enough calcium for strong shells. You should offer oyster shell on the side, and they will take it as they need it.

But other than that, even with providing oyster shell, the first few eggs can be soft shelled. It takes a bit for their bodies to adjust to laying.

Hi, I found that first egg that one of my hens laid this morning....but is was already cracked open...the shell was very thin...is this normal because it's one of the first eggs? They have been on egg laying feed for long time now. Linda
How old are your birds?...... and how long have they been on layer feed?

Thank you all for your help. I'm having so much fun. My chickens have been on Layer Feed since they were about 2 months old. I will try oyster shell on the side!

Back
Top Bottom