1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by motleychickens, Dec 7, 2015.

1. motleychickens

motleychickens New Egg

Dec 7, 2015
    Hi, I found that first egg that one of my hens laid this morning....but is was already cracked open...the shell was very thin...is this normal because it's one of the first eggs? They have been on egg laying feed for long time now. Linda

2. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    Congratulations! Yes that is normal. The first few eggs can be pretty strange.

3. Skylercarr

Skylercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2015
    Your hens will eventually lay normal but for the first couple of eggs it will be strange. Congratulations!

4. motleychickens

motleychickens New Egg

Dec 7, 2015
    Thank you!!!

5. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    Congratulations on your first egg. I though my hubby was going to fall over laughing due to how excited I was when I gout our first egg.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you feeding oyster shell on the side? Laying feed may not have enough calcium for strong shells. You should offer oyster shell on the side, and they will take it as they need it.

But other than that, even with providing oyster shell, the first few eggs can be soft shelled. It takes a bit for their bodies to adjust to laying.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are your birds?...... and how long have they been on layer feed?

8. motleychickens

motleychickens New Egg

Dec 7, 2015
    Thank you all for your help. I'm having so much fun. My chickens have been on Layer Feed since they were about 2 months old. I will try oyster shell on the side!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by