1st Grade Hatch-a-Long! (and a few questions)

1stGradeTeach

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
I am a first grade teacher in Texas, and we currently have 7 New Hampshire Reds on Day 22 in the Brinsea Mini Eco Advance. These eggs were shipped from Meyer Hatchery and set from Thursday until Tuesday before I put them in the incubator. All have developed well and the incubation process has been uneventful. I was disappointed that nothing happened yesterday, but this morning I heard peeping! We have had a tiny pip on one egg as of about 10:15 this morning. I'm a little worried, because another teacher had two eggs with shrink wrap issues (one died; one had to be assisted in hatching and seems to be doing okay).

Attachments

• 1045Wednesday.jpeg
    1045Wednesday.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7
It can take a chick 24 hours to progress from pip to zip. Assisting should not be done until around the 24 hour mark. Many people "misdiagnose" shrink wrap. The inner membrane wraps around the chick. This is normal. Many people see this as think oh no! My chick is shrink wrapped! The membrane is clinging to my chick. A truely shrink wrapped chick will be pulled down into the egg so tight it literally can't move. Shrink wrapping doesn't happen quickly and has been touted as frequent when it's not. Exposed membrane around the pip can become dried out and glue to the chick and hinder it's progression, but it is vastly different than a truly shrink wrapped chick.
If the outer membrane, the white you see at the pip starts turning brown and leathery looking, it needs to be moistened. Vaseline, non pain relief neosporin or coconut oil applied lightly on exposed membrane can keep them most. Keep the humidity up, at least 65% and good luck!

It can take a chick 24 hours to progress from pip to zip. Assisting should not be done until around the 24 hour mark. Many people "misdiagnose" shrink wrap. The inner membrane wraps around the chick. This is normal. Many people see this as think oh no! My chick is shrink wrapped! The membrane is clinging to my chick. A truely shrink wrapped chick will be pulled down into the egg so tight it literally can't move. Shrink wrapping doesn't happen quickly and has been touted as frequent when it's not. Exposed membrane around the pip can become dried out and glue to the chick and hinder it's progression, but it is vastly different than a truly shrink wrapped chick.
If the outer membrane, the white you see at the pip starts turning brown and leathery looking, it needs to be moistened. Vaseline, non pain relief neosporin or coconut oil applied lightly on exposed membrane can keep them most. Keep the humidity up, at least 65% and good luck!
Amy..is this a common "problem" when there is not enough humidity?

If your humidity is too low over the incubation period, the first 17 days the air cell can grow too big too fast and yes it can shrink wrap chicks. I have a couple pics of true shrink wrap that I had a couple years ago. But an egg that has lost proper moisture seldom shrink wraps after pip unless the hatch humidity is really dry.

We now have pips in two eggs (4:00 PM). Everything still looks great! I anticipate waking up to several babies tomorrow.

If your humidity is too low over the incubation period, the first 17 days the air cell can grow too big too fast and yes it can shrink wrap chicks. I have a couple pics of true shrink wrap that I had a couple years ago. But an egg that has lost proper moisture seldom shrink wraps after pip unless the hatch humidity is really dry.

Unfortunately, her issue truly was a shrink wrap. It was terribly sad, but part of the process sometimes! The living chick is doing great and getting fluffy.

I'm sorry for your loss, and here's to hoping those others do great! I love that you are doing this for your class, I've considered loaning out my incubator to a school, because I want to share with all the children.

Back
Top Bottom