1st Serama eggs put in incubator today.

BigRay

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 17, 2009
Easley SC
I am trying to hatch my 1st set of 26 serama eggs. I got 24 from
Alabama and all but 1 candled great. Wish me luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from serama experts.

Ray

Oooo, I'm hatching some Serama eggs too! I got mine from Alabama also (Picture Perfect Poultry). 1 batch is due in about 6 days and another is due is 16 days. Don't really have any advice- not an expert, but...

Good luck
thumbsup.gif

pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
jumpy.gif

I just hatched 1 a week ago, cutest darn thing. I call him Shotgun cause he has a "dripping" black spot on his chest that looks like a bullet wound. He almost always keeps one eye closed, and only opens it when startled or running. He hatched a day late cause my temp was too low, and whether that was the cause or because his legs were SUPER short he needed some help hatching. Once he zipped I held the egg upside down and he slipped out. Don't worry if you lose a lot during the first week, the creeper gene is lethal and kills 25% of the embryos during the first week. I think it also makes hatch difficult for a lot of the surviving chicks. Be sure their food is small! MannaPro makes a very fine chick starter. I don't have to grind or blend if for my little Shotgun. It's a little more expensive, but it's a good feed overall.

What I've been told is the seramas have a diluted version of the short leg gene found in japs. This does cause 25% fatality in japs but the fatality should be less in seramas. It also causes death more toward the end of incubation not in the first week. I've got my 2nd batch of eggs from seramasun in texas and so far out of the 16 eggs I've set from them I've only lost 1 in the first week and 1 on day 10 this time. Last time a humidity issue caused me to only hatch 2 despite 6 of 8 making it to day 17. Right now I have 7 of 8 eggs still alive.

my eggs came from picture pefect poultry also. Great Lady.
What %humidity do you use? I have mine at 45 to 55% humidity and 99.3 to 100.1 temp. Will this be good.

Back
Top Bottom