1st time broody duck

Tiltom

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2021
Hello all!
I have my first broody duck! We do have a drake so I’m going to see how it goes. My hen Tater Tot is a white and fawn runner and has been sitting on her nest for 2-3 days about 20 hours or so.
I also have a pekin hen named feather Locklear that has been with her since they were about 3 months old. They seem to be helping each other but maybe it’s my human brain that thinks this. Tater seems to be the broody one as she only leaves the nest to stretch and nibble. I did put water and extra hay near the nest so she doesn’t have to go far. But my question is is there any reason to separate them? They seem to be taking turns sometimes but Tater is mostly the mama. Feather will lay on top of her as well as stand near her lightly (not violently) fanning her feathers over Tater tot. It hasn’t been a very hot day but it seems like she’s just helping out her friend. I do have video of it and it’s been a mesmerizing day here! The drake, Graham Quacker has been watching the pen and swimming not bothering either of them so I figure I’ll just let nature takes it’s course. Other than marking the gigs to make sure there are no new ones being added. What else should I do or know? Can anyone tell me these behaviors and what they mean!? They live outdoors in a big pen with fresh water for drinking and swimming daily and plenty of food. I really hope she does well in the next few weeks and I’m trying to learn all I can in case I need to step in. She’s my favorite duck although she did hiss at me when I got to close this morning 😝
Thank you!

09452564-42FF-4801-921F-476AC882DB16.png

You can see the light puffing/fanning here. It’s never more than a light puff and it’s about every 2 seconds. She’s standing over Tater. I think she’s helping her stay cool… does anyone else know what this means or what she’s doing?

DF5E6416-05EF-4DD7-A896-D35C59E6D426.png

Here you can see Feather is sitting on top of Tater. Not sure if she’s helping her keep the babies warm or if it means something else but they don’t fight and they usually just lay butt to head all day. Is this a best friend helping or is this something else?

You don't think Feather could suffocate her asking because I had a Brahma hen lay on top of a cochin bantam [chickens] and suffocate her.
I've never seen this behavior with any of my broody ducks but my only broodies have been my Muscovy and they do not want any one messing with them when they are broody.

Last edited:
You don't think Father could suffocate her asking because I had a Brahma hen lay on top of a cochin bantam [chickens] and suffocate her.
I've never seen this behavior with any of my broody ducks but my only broodies have been my Muscovy and they do not want any one messing with them when they are broody.
Thank you! They seem to be taking turns, so I'm trying to watch if they're both broody.

Back
Top Bottom