1st time broody hen, eggs arent hatching!!!

Kandace Edgar

Chirping
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Hey yall,
I don't know what to do for my Lil 1st time mama....she has eggs under her but were over 3 weeks In and her eggs arent hatching, I'm guessing they weren't fertilized, but I've got another hen who started sitting a few days behind her and now her chicks ARE hatching ....What do I need to do for my broody mama thats still sitting? Do I just take her eggs and let her start over? Do I get some day old chicks and slip them under her at night? I'm lost here, bless her heart im sad for her that her eggs didn't hatch! And now she's watching her sisters chicks hatching!!! please help!!!

Hey yall,
I don't know what to do for my Lil 1st time mama....she has eggs under her but were over 3 weeks In and her eggs arent hatching, I'm guessing they weren't fertilized, but I've got another hen who started sitting a few days behind her and now her chicks ARE hatching ....What do I need to do for my broody mama thats still sitting? Do I just take her eggs and let her start over? Do I get some day old chicks and slip them under her at night? I'm lost here, bless her heart im sad for her that her eggs didn't hatch! And now she's watching her sisters chicks hatching!!! please help!!!
In the dark of night, I'd sneak out and steal a chick or two from the second broody hen and slip them under the first broody hen and remove all the dud eggs. No one will be the wiser...

Do not continue to let this bird sit on eggs by placing more underneath her. Sitting for 3 weeks is long enough. If you continue to try to make her sit longer her health is going to deteriorate.
K I've decided to get her a few chicks to sneak under her tonite so she'll go ahead and break the broodines cuz she's gotta have a break...so hopefully she'll take these babies tonite and be fine in morn!!

OK everybody I got 6 day old baby chicks and stuck them under her just now and she's content and telling and perfect🥰🥰 babies are settled and she is too and I'm I'm glad🥰🥰🥰 my sweet Rowdy girl now has babies and I'm so tickled...thank yall all so much...sincerely a very manic new chicken mom lol!! It worked yall!!! yaayyyy!! Successful venture!!THANK YALL AGAIN!!!

If you wanted you could stick some more eggs under her. As long as she's eating and drinking She'll be fine. Have you candles the eggs under her to see if they developed.
She had about 8 eggs to start...when i checked about 10 days in ....there were only 2 that developed and 6 slushy so she's still got the 2 but I'm starting to wonder if they just didn't make it...I've got 3 other hens i know have fertilized eggs so I'll stick a few of those in when she comes out today!! Which is right now lol!!!
Thank you!!

Aaghh YALL!!! My heart is overflowing watching my girl with these babies, bless her heart!!!🥰🥰🥰

Attachments

• 1649600233117456206314280180692.jpg
    1649600233117456206314280180692.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 19
Oh ok well good thing they've got plenty on the floor then lol and yep, got Chick starter scattered and in the feeder too for mom....I assume the chick starter is good for her since the protein is higher and I'm sure she needs the extra right now?
I feed Flock Raiser from hatch to death with oyster shell on the side so they always have more than the minimum recommended levels of protein and aren't forced to eat excess calcium when their bodies don't need it.

Hey yall,
If you wanted you could stick some more eggs under her. As long as she's eating and drinking She'll be fine. Have you candles the eggs under her to see if they developed.

Back
Top Bottom