1st time Broody & Tiny Chick

StarLightFarms

Chirping
Feb 23, 2022
My Hen who was born in March went Broody. She hatched a tiny chick last week. The chick seemed to be doing great, very active, eating, drinking and everything. I just checked on them this morning and the chick was dead beside Mama sitting on the other eggs. Chick would have been a week old tomorrow. I feel terrible...I had a heat light for them and of course Mama was doing her part being protective and keeping chick warm. We had a frost last night. Just wondering if the chick being so small was the reasoning. Mama's eggs are so tiny so I was surprised that the chick had hatched and was doing so well but did not expect to find it gone this morning. Also I'm blaming myself because I didn't have chick starter on hand and when I was able to pick some up my feed store was closed, so they were eating grower like the rest of my flock.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds as if the chick was from a pullet egg and just not large/strong enough to survive. I doubt that your husbandry caused the death - don't blame yourself.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds as if the chick was from a pullet egg and just not large/strong enough to survive. I doubt that your husbandry caused the death - don't blame yourself.
Thank you, I really appreciate this. I didn't realize that was something that could happen.

My chick hatched today, and hasn’t eaten yet. Will she do it on her own? She is hiding under mama. She is beautiful and chirping. She is 4 hours out of the shell.
Worried Gram

My chick hatched today, and hasn’t eaten yet. Will she do it on her own? She is hiding under mama. She is beautiful and chirping. She is 4 hours out of the shell
Chicks can survive off their yolk for approximately the first 3 days, so not unusual that it hasn't eaten yet. Mama will show it where and how to eat when she's ready

Back
Top Bottom