1st time raising baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bart1, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Bart1

Bart1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    So excited to recieve my baby chick from murry mcmurry. I am getting 25 chicks, I have my brooder ready but i have my infrared light above but leaving it right at the top of the lid I can only get it up to 80-85 degrees. Hoe close can you have the light above the pine chips and paper towels that is safe from creating a fire? And how hot must it be for the 3 day old chicks? Must it be 95-100 degrees? Thanks for any advice. i am very excited I have always had chickens 6-7 months and above. never chicks.
  2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I think 90 to 95 is okay for the first week or two of life for the chicks. I know with my infrared light I could have it about a foot above the lid and it would still get the brooder to 95. I'm assuming your brooder is in the garage or somewhere other than in a warmed home? Another option is to use two heat lamps. You can run one or both depending on the changing air temps. Another option is the Brinsea Ecoglow which is a heater for brooding chicks. If you look it up on Amazon you'll see what I mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by