1st timer - Going on lock down

sbw82

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2015
We have 5 Coturnix eggs and they are on day 14. This afternoon they will go on lock down. This is our first time trying this and I think we have everything covered. We are removing the egg turner, adding a little water to a couple of the channels, doing a quick candle and then placing the eggs back that aren't glowing green. What did I miss? We are in eastern NC do the humidity levels have been anywhere from 40 - 60% with the 2 plugs out the entire time. So what do I do if the humidity level gets too high during lock down? I am going to add some tubing when we remove the turner so I can add water a little at a time if necessary. I'm just not sure what to do if I add too much.

Make sure the humidity doesn't go over 65% or thereabouts during lockdown. When they start hatching it will go up and down quite a bit, don't worry about that. I'd add the water in small amounts and monitor the humidity, so it doesn't go too high and if it does, just let it out a bit. Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted!

Make sure the humidity doesn't go over 65% or thereabouts during lockdown. When they start hatching it will go up and down quite a bit, don't worry about that. I'd add the water in small amounts and monitor the humidity, so it doesn't go too high and if it does, just let it out a bit. Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted!
As far as the humidity goes, how do I "let it out a bit?" The two red plugs have been out the entire 14 days because the humidity would get up around 55-60% at first. Without lifting the lid to the incubator, what other ways do I lower humidity if it gets too high?

Lifting the lid a bit is the only way I'd know how to decr. humidity. I've never hatched quail, but with chickens, I'd not worry about those spikes unless there's condensation on the window or walls. Good luck!

Lifting the lid a bit is the only way I'd know how to decr. humidity. I've never hatched quail, but with chickens, I'd not worry about those spikes unless there's condensation on the window or walls. Good luck!
Like that
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom