1st timer

cibula11

Songster
7 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Iowa
We will be processing 35 Cornish X this fall and I’m trying to get my stuff together. Couple of questions. . .

1.) are the metal restraining cones necessary or do most ppl go the diy route for cones? Either way how many would I need? 2-3?

2.) also wondering what type of freezer space I’ll need for a dozen or so. We’ve got one small chest freezer but that will house our 1/4 beef and freezers are a rare thing these days.

The cones aren't strictly necessary, but they are nice. You would need as many as you plan to kill and bleed at one time. So, if you have three people working, you'd want three cones, etc.

I don't know about the freezer space.

The plastic jugs modified into cones are easily stored (left in the weather) and replaced when it's time. How much storage space do you have?

How empty is your freezer? Measure a grocery store bird and figure 35 of those. Yep, that is a big pile.

Well won’t keep all 35. 20 or so to family who are helping. I’m leaning towards another small chest freezer but finding one is the hard part

Let's see, we can fit about 60 3-4# birds in our chest freezers (including the bags of organs and feet from those birds), conservative estimate. They are roughly 15 cubic feet. So that's roughly 4 birds per cubic foot for 3-4 pounders.

Back
Top Bottom