1week old chick

Chey1214

Songster
May 4, 2023
Chick is weak and is laying on her side. She was vaccinated for mericks. All she wants to do is lay under the heat. Should I give her vit e?

Attachments

• B9B7C4B6-712A-4D33-80F0-BB2E84D41F46.jpeg
    B9B7C4B6-712A-4D33-80F0-BB2E84D41F46.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 31
Is she inside the house or out in a coop? What is the air temperature, and temp under the heat source? Can you give some Poultry NutriDrench a couple of drops orally twice a day, and dip the beak into the water often to get it drinking. Have you tried moistened chicken feed or cooked egg? Was she hatched by you or shipped in the mail? Check for any pasty butt stuck on droppings, and clean off.

I ended up giving her rooster booster, vit e electrolytes probiotics and egg. After a week of helping her drink and encouraging her to get up and eat with the flock (I tried to separate her but she was looking for her crew) she is now flourishing and I’m so pleased!

The E is fine to give for a few days. It helps with neurological problems but may not do much for a weak chick. Poultry NutriDrench 2 drops twice a day, or electrolytes might help if you keep dipping her beak in the water. Let us know how she gets along.

Check her crop to see if anything is in it. Has she been drinking, eating, pooping? When did this behavior start? Any other sick chicks? Has she been bullied or injured? How many chicks do you have in the brooder? Can you upload a pic of your brooder? This info will help us to help you figure out what's going on.

If you have Nutri-Drench, give her some. Like half or quarter of the smallest gradation on the included medicine dropper. It has a lot of molasses in it, which should help perk her up, and a lot of nutrients in the molasses. Dribble it a bit at a time inside her mouth and she'll swallow it. Wrap her in a towel if you have trouble holding her. The idea is to perk her up a bit so she'll drink and eat.

Also raw egg yolk (fresh) or cooked scrambled egg smashed into small pieces are good to try and get her to eat something and get some moisture in her.

Sometimes chicks just fail to thrive and there's nothing you can do. But maybe there is. Don't know yet. Hope so.

I got her in the mail and she was like this from day one. I am an experienced Hatcher and my brooder is spot on. I’ll try the egg but I was also thinking about giving her some vit e I have it in the form of a soft gel. I change there water daily and she is on crumble feed. I have apple cider vinegar in water, was on electrolytes plus probiotics. I think she’s just a failure to thrive…but I want her to live :( what do you think about the vit e?

Also her droppings looked normal I watched her do that. No signs of illness there

I ended up giving her rooster booster, vit e electrolytes probiotics and egg. After a week of helping her drink and encouraging her to get up and eat with the flock (I tried to separate her but she was looking for her crew) she is now flourishing and I’m so pleased!
Yay I’m so glad!

Thank you for the update, and so glad to read that she has survived.
I banded her w purple so I can keep track of her. I want her to be a him so bad, oh well. She is indeed my roughest looking Ameraucana lol

Attachments

• 103A88AA-5967-4070-99E0-235BE2F1C721.jpeg
    103A88AA-5967-4070-99E0-235BE2F1C721.jpeg
    594.5 KB · Views: 4
  • D057F15A-B7AD-4B27-8DA4-298D148A2FAA.jpeg
    D057F15A-B7AD-4B27-8DA4-298D148A2FAA.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom