1wk old chicks red in poop

Sour dough starter is not the same sort of yeast as natural fermented feed. All the yeast you need is floating in the air. Air is more crowded with unseen stuff than we think.

To expedite the fermentation, I use filtered water and add a couple tablespoons of ACV. It will enable the feed to be fermented in only 48 hours. Thereafter, a couple tablespoons of the previous batch of FF will start your next batch and it will be ready in just 24 hours.

I use filtered water because it gets rid of any residual chlorine which slows down the fermentation as yeast has to be numerous enough to overcome it, making the fermentation take longer.

Sour dough starter is not the same sort of yeast as natural fermented feed. All the yeast you need is floating in the air. Air is more crowded with unseen stuff than we think.

To expedite the fermentation, I use filtered water and add a couple tablespoons of ACV. It will enable the feed to be fermented in only 48 hours. Thereafter, a couple tablespoons of the previous batch of FF will start your next batch and it will be ready in just 24 hours.

I use filtered water because it gets rid of any residual chlorine which slows down the fermentation as yeast has to be numerous enough to overcome it, making the fermentation take longer.
So the link didn't make reference to the sourdough that I saw...but this did.
You would NOT incorporate the sourdough discard into their feed?I

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221206-212943_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221206-212943_Instagram.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 3
It's not necessary. It's not usually something we do when fermenting feed. But I can't think of any harm it would do.

Since yeast is science, why not do a controlled experiment? Make equal batches of feed, covering each with warm filtered water. Then add the ACV to one and add the sourdough starter to the other. Then make notes at equal intervals as to what you observe and smell. Could teach us all something. I adore science experiments, having done a few threads on them, though they were all mostly dead ends.

I need to clarify that while I add two tablespoon s of ACV to start my ferment, it's only the first one, and the amount of feed is around six cups. For a very small batch you would only add a little ACV.

Back
Top Bottom