1wk old chicks red in poop

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
These are buff Silkies I hatched from shipped eggs from well know champion breeder.
I did have 1 week old Cochins in the brooder with these newly hatched Silkies until the Cochins got a little rambunctious and I moved them about 5 days ago or so.
The Silkies have had various things going on from possible wry neck to FTT from 2 different chicks and now this from even different chicks - 1 of which has been very healthy eating and no sign of problems.
Can yall tell me if this looks like blood, intestinal lining or what could be going on?
The FTT chick has gotten 2 separate doses of molasses and warm water for fear it was constipated because it chirped really loudly when trying to poop and would peck at its backside til it came out and looked hard. I haven't been able to catch it pooping again. It stands up a lot under the brooder plate but does come out and eat and drink...just not as much as the other 4.
The wry neck chick is doing amazingly better!!!
I gave 1 last dose of vit e and vit B to all along with a little poultry cell yesterday.
Any advice as to what to do would be so helpful yall!!! I've tried so hard to get this color and am told they are a difficult color to breed...I see why now!

Attachments

• 20221107_063940.jpg
    20221107_063940.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221107_063921.jpg
    20221107_063921.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221107_063912.jpg
    20221107_063912.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 8
It looks like blood. They may have coccidiosis since they have been in the brooder with slightly older chickens. I would go ahead and treat all with Corid in the water for 5-7 days, just in case. Corid is safe if it is not coccidiosis. Don’t give b vitamins while on Corid. Make sure that all are drinking well.

It looks like blood. They may have coccidiosis since they have been in the brooder with slightly older chickens. I would go ahead and treat all with Corid in the water for 5-7 days, just in case. Corid is safe if it is not coccidiosis. Don’t give b vitamins while on Corid. Make sure that all are drinking well.
I got ¼tsp corid to a quart of water and they have been drinking.
No more vitamins
I gave the FTT chick a few more drops of molasses water as it is definitely straining to poop and cries and pecks back there.

Edited to ask if I should NOT ever mix 2 ages together again from hatches...I thought I was saving myself integration problems. Guess I only created em?!

Last edited:
@Eggcessive @azygous @Wyorp Rock
They are 2 weeks old today, except the FTT chick which will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.
They have been on corid water since Monday. I didn't see any signs of red in poo the past couple days then I saw this right now...
Not sure which one did it of course.
Do I need to continue the corid?
They are still getting vit E, selenium, poultry cell, nutridrench, and the corid sugar water.

Attachments

• 20221112_082443.jpg
    20221112_082443.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Are they all behaving normally? Then you aren't killing them. Giving thiamine (B-1) while treating for coccidiosis merely makes the Corid less effective as B-1 nourishes coccidia and keeps them alive.

I question coccidiosis being an issue with two-week old chicks, though.

Possibly, if this red intestinal lining persists, it could mean somehow, the intestines could be inflamed. That could be from bacteria or diet. What are the ingredients in your chick starter? Any fishmeal, wheat, barley, or rye, or soy?

Are they all behaving normally? Then you aren't killing them. Giving thiamine (B-1) while treating for coccidiosis merely makes the Corid less effective as B-1 nourishes coccidia and keeps them alive.

I question coccidiosis being an issue with two-week old chicks, though.

Possibly, if this red intestinal lining persists, it could mean somehow, the intestines could be inflamed. That could be from bacteria or diet. What are the ingredients in your chick starter? Any fishmeal, wheat, barley, or rye, or soy?
This is the first time I've ever fed non-medicated chich starter.
I'm using NatureWise® Chick Starter Grower 18% protein
Which has these ingredients

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221112-105500_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221112-105500_Chrome.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 4
How much corn?How much wheat? How much soy? How much other grains?
I just went and bought what I used to use pruina medicated start & grow!
I'll use the naturewise with the older ones.
Here's the ingredients but it doesn't say how much that I can find...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221113-072233_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113-072233_Chrome.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom