1x3 roosting bar -4 feet long will support 30 pounds ?

Oh. If you have more than one piece, make an I-beam. This is the strongest shape for the weight. It is much stronger than doubling by connecting them to each other parallel to each other.

The notch isn't necessary. It adds strength and stiffness but a butt joint will be strong enough for your purpose.

The lower horizontal part probably isn't necessary either (so it might be a T-beam? I'm not sure that is a term)

Use screws, not nails. Sink the screws a little. Maybe dab a bit of wood filler in on top of the screw head and sand it even.

Attachments

• 1642335497016.jpeg
    1642335497016.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
Oh. If you have more than one piece, make an I-beam. This is the strongest shape for the weight. It is much stronger than doubling by connecting them to each other parallel to each other.

Just what I was going to suggest.

I'm sure a 1x3 wide side up would soon bow, but an I-beam or a box-beam would be much sturdier.

Yes, you are correct on size. It is only 2 and 1/2 feet wide but still wider than my current roosting bar I am replacing which is round. Maybe just little over an inch.
Can you leave the round bar where it is and lay the 1x3 over it? The round bar would add a lot of support. Maybe add a couple of blocks beside each end to keep it from rolling.

I'm pretty sure the 1x3 will warp over time, at least, if it is put in wide side up...as it should be.

I actually have 2 of 4 feet long roosting bars and 1 of 2 feet long roosting bar but I found couple of them sleeping in the nesting boxes so I wanted to raise 1 of 4 feet roosting bar little higher than nesting box to see if that will solve the problem.

Like I said I have not seen all 5 roosting in one bar. Usually 2-3 in one roosting bar or 3-2 in the nesting boxes.
Just what I was going to suggest.

I'm sure a 1x3 wide side up would soon bow, but an I-beam or a box-beam would be much sturdier.
Yes. I push it down I don’t know how much I am pressing but it did bend.

So I just bought 2x3 today and try to bed it again, I couldn’t. So I believe this is strong enough

Back
Top Bottom