1x6 dog ear fence pickets

loubapache

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Michigan
Hi, all:

I have access to a lot of used 1x6 dog ear fence pickets in 6' length. I am also planning to build a 6'x8' shelter for my two ducks. It is not going to be fully closed as a chicken coop. It will only be covered the bottom three feet and the top is going to be screened using welded wires.

My question is what can I use the pickets for? Siding, roofing, etc? I appreciate any ideas or better yet, pictures.

Thanks in advance.

I've used them to make a lot of doors.

NewBarn.jpg

Thank you all for your replies so far.

Sonoran Silkies, do you have more details on using these thin boards? Thanks.

Hi, I have another questions about these fence pickets.

They are 5/8" inch thick. Do you think I can use them for roof boards? The rafters are 2x6 at 20" on center (due to an odd width they are 20" OC). The two side rafters are lag screwed on to 4x4 posts at 8' span. The middle two rafters are on joist hangers on 2x10 boards that are 6' long. The 2x10 boards are also lag screwed onto 4x4 posts.

Basically the coop is 6'x8' and the roof pitch is 2/12 (slant roof).

Shinges will then be put onto these boards with felt paper.
Thanks,

Last edited:
Thanks, harrelldjr. Yours looks beautiful.

How did you keep them so tight (no gap)? Did you dry them first?

Thanks again.

If you are planning on letting them weather naturally and not paint them you will need to determine if they are wet or dry. If they are wet you can but them together when you nail them up, but if they are dry you will need to leave a gap between each pickett. If you butt them up against each other they will absorb moisture when it rains and they will expand and split.
If your supply us real generous you might want to consider nailing one over every gap. Looks good, keeps the weather out and allows a liberal gap between boards.
Good Luck and be sure to post pictures when you are done.

Back
Top Bottom