2 1/2 week old lavender orpington / roo?

Pics

Blueblacksplash

Chirping
Sep 27, 2020
This was ordered as a pullet from the hatchery. But at 2 1/2 weeks old is looking very much like a boy. I have been suspicious since the day they arrived this one was huge! With legs much larger. And its comb seems a little bigger each day.
5805AA42-E15E-480B-A9A9-BDDC6517D76D.jpeg
9B10007E-58AF-4E0C-AC9A-A05A8BA0DF3E.jpeg

Yeah its not just the comb tho unfortunately. Comb, waddles, tail feathers, legs. Stance. I will know way before 6 weeks with this one.
Tail feathers have no meaning at this stage, unless you're talking about growth rate?
Posture isn't a great indicator at this age.

Thick legs is a good sign it's a cockerel.

Tail feathers have no meaning at this stage, unless you're talking about growth rate?
Posture isn't a great indicator at this age.

Thick legs is a good sign it's a cockerel.
The way the tails grow on a pullet vs a
Cockerel is always very obvious to me. But like i said its everything together that makes me say boy. If it was just one thing i wouldn't think so. Just wanted more opinions. The boys tails are Shaped much different than the girls. But i have never had a lavender orpington.

The way the tails grow on a pullet vs a
Cockerel is always very obvious to me. But like i said its everything together that makes me say boy. If it was just one thing i wouldn't think so. Just wanted more opinions. The boys tails are Shaped much different than the girls. But i have never had a lavender orpington.
For me, Orpingtons the boys usually lack tail feather growth, while females have abundant tail feather growth.

I haven't had lavenders, but their growth rate shouldn't be much different then a regular Orpington.

This was ordered as a pullet from the hatchery. But at 2 1/2 weeks old is looking very much like a boy. I have been suspicious since the day they arrived this one was huge! With legs much larger. And its comb seems a little bigger each day.

Is it the only lavender orpington you have?

Because some breeds develop combs much earlier than others, I feel more confident with guessing gender if I can compare several of the same breed and age.

Back
Top Bottom