2-3 week old chicks dying

flamingmenudo

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2021
Hello all,

We recently bought two, 2 week old Plymouth Blue chicks from a hatchery. Brought them home, they both seemed fine, then the following morning, once came out from under the heating appliance and died. The surviving chick, other than being super vocal about being alone, seemed healthy. That day I drove back and bought two more chicks of the same type.

For another week, all 3 seemed to be thriving. So I thought we were in the clear. But then after a day of being a little lethargic, the original survivor died. Up until the day before, she had been the most energetic of them all (and largest and most feathered).

Their poops seemed normal, and no pasty butt. They were all eating nonstop. The heating appliance seems to be working fine and is part of the same setup we used to successfully raise our last batch of chicks 3 years ago.

Any idea what could be causing them to die? I'm worried that we are going to lose them all now.

Hello all,

We recently bought two, 2 week old Plymouth Blue chicks from a hatchery. Brought them home, they both seemed fine, then the following morning, once came out from under the heating appliance and died. The surviving chick, other than being super vocal about being alone, seemed healthy. That day I drove back and bought two more chicks of the same type.

For another week, all 3 seemed to be thriving. So I thought we were in the clear. But then after a day of being a little lethargic, the original survivor died. Up until the day before, she had been the most energetic of them all (and largest and most feathered).

Their poops seemed normal, and no pasty butt. They were all eating nonstop. The heating appliance seems to be working fine and is part of the same setup we used to successfully raise our last batch of chicks 3 years ago.

Any idea what could be causing them to die? I'm worried that we are going to lose them all now.
What are you feeding them?
I would get some Corid and treat them for coccidiosis. Sometimes cocci doesn’t present the typical symptoms one expects such as bloody and mucus like poops. Get the powdered type and mix it into their water and offer as the only source of drinking water for 7 days. Some people choose to repeat after a week of being off.

I braved the winter storm roads around here to get some Corid. Started them today, hopefully not too late. This morning I noticed some unusual poops that had red bits in it, not wet blood, but more like chunks of red/pink. Hadn't noticed anything like that cleaning their area before.

I had read elsewhere treatment was 5 days? Will it hurt them to have too much, or if they weren't actually suffering from coccidiosis? Considering two have already died, I guess there isn't much to lose.

I would do 7 days, and no it won’t hurt them. Just remember to offer it as their only source of drinking water so they are definitely getting it. Give them a break after 7 days and then retreat after a week.

Could you post pictures of your setup?
Is this a local hatchery, a local breeder or a big known hatchery?
Local hatchery. Didn't seem like the most the most organized place, but they were the only place that had a variety of breeds available. Last time we raised chicks they came from a feed store, and they thrived.

CHICK UPDATE:
The two chicks are still alive and growing after a week of CORID treatment in their water. Although now one of the chicks seems very wobbly on her legs which wasn't the case before the treatment. I read that CORID might make chicks thiamin deficient, which has some of these balance symptoms. If this is the case, do you think the will regain her stability eating her regular starter crumbles now that the treatment is over? The other chick is a little gymnast, so it didn't happen to both.

I read that CORID might make chicks thiamin deficient, which has some of these balance symptoms. If this is the case, do you think the will regain her stability eating her regular starter crumbles now that the treatment is over?

Corid is a thiamine inhibitor, so after you are finished with Corid treatment, I would give them Poultry Nutri-Drench or some other similar vitamin mix to help boost them through the recovery period.

Corid is a thiamine inhibitor, so after you are finished with Corid treatment, I would give them Poultry Nutri-Drench or some other similar vitamin mix to help boost them through the recovery period.
I bought some nutri-drench today and started them on it. I wish I had known about it so I could have started right after I took them off Corid. Hopefully she will regain her balance.

Back
Top Bottom