We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

2-3yr old Isa Brown has not laid in 4mths.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cajones13, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Cajones13

Cajones13 Hatching

Jul 18, 2019
    I have 4 chooks; a Black Australorp (Kali), Game Bantam (Myf), Game Bantam x Rhode Island (Itchy), ISA Brown (Penny) and a Game Bantam x Pekin rooster (Roger).
    I get regular eggs from all but the Isa Brown. She was a consistent layer of 70-80gm eggs giving 5 or 6 a week for about 12mths, then stopped laying in early March '19. She now spends 1/2 an hour or so in the nestbox most days, does her egg song, accepts the rooster and returns to free ranging with the others, but no egg. She moulted mid-April at the tail end of the wet and looks nice and healthy. If she was egg-bound she would have been dead months ago. The fact she still goes through the motions but produces no eggs is frustrating, as you can't really eat them once they have a name!

2. LozzyR

LozzyR Songster

Mar 30, 2019
    NSW, Australia
    She may have reached the end of her egg-laying life. I read that Isas generally live 2-3 years but have been known to live 5-8 years if well looked after. They don’t lay all their lives, perhaps your faithful girl has done her dash and now deserves peaceful retirement. :) I lost two Isas at about 2 years of age, my oldest will be about 3 1/2 in September. She’s still laying but will still go through the nesting routine even on days she doesn’t produce. Once she stops, I hope she lives on a few more years after that.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She could be done....or just 'practicing'.
    Have had several hens that did the 'nest visit but no egg' for awhile before commencing to lay again.

But.... Welcome to BYC! @Cajones13
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-7-18_9-44-40.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: