2.5 week old Silkie Chick lost whole foot

mrsgibber

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Bolton, CT
Has anyone ever dealt with a chick that had it's foot come completely off? A week an a half ago I noticed her foot was curling up and looked like it was shriveling so I thought it was curled toe. I bandaided the little foot to a flat piece of cardboard hoping to correct the curling. Well today my daughter and I went out to check on her an replace the "boot" but it was gone and so was her foot. She has a healed stump now and is hobbling along happily. Is there anything I need to worry about? Will she be ok walking around like this as she gets older?

Anyone with a one footed chicken?
fl.gif

No ma'am, I'm sorry.
But I'd say if it looks happy, to let it be.
Make sure it's not getting picked on.
If it looks lethargic or sickly, I would put it down and out of it's misery.

edit;//
But I am under no circumstance an experienced chicken owner, so sorry if my information or opinions are wrong.

Last edited:
I have seen a chicken survive with only 1 foot / nub wasn't my chicken it was my MIL's chick but she ran with the best of them free range.

Good luck.

I've read several posts about one footed chickens and even a few with chickens who had two stumps! As long as it isn't in pain, gets around fine, isn't being severely bullied by the others, can eat, drink and all of that good stuff, I'm sure she'll do just fine! I wonder what was going on with her foot that caused it to fall off?!

When I was a boy I used to fish off the Gaviota peir near Santa Barbara, CA. There was a brown pelican we called Henry who only had one foot. He would would walk up and down the railing, flap clack flap clack, begging for food. I don't think I ever saw him fly so I'm not sure he could, but he was there for years. He made a pretty easy living in spite of his disability.
cool.png
If a wild bird can do that, I'm sure your little chickie, with care and affection will be fine.

Thanks. I'm so impressed with her. She seems to be fine with the other chicks and holds her own so I'm glad we didn't put her down. I had a similar story while on vacation last month. My kids came across a pigeon with no feet....just two stumps...they named it Pige. It got around just fine as well.

I have one who lost a foot as a chick due to frostbite. She is fine. What you will have to modify is her roost possibly. A 2x4 (with edges rounded) on the flat works.
Dale-Ann

Back
Top Bottom