2.5 week old Silkie Chick lost whole foot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsgibber, May 13, 2010.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Has anyone ever dealt with a chick that had it's foot come completely off? A week an a half ago I noticed her foot was curling up and looked like it was shriveling so I thought it was curled toe. I bandaided the little foot to a flat piece of cardboard hoping to correct the curling. Well today my daughter and I went out to check on her an replace the "boot" but it was gone and so was her foot. She has a healed stump now and is hobbling along happily. Is there anything I need to worry about? Will she be ok walking around like this as she gets older?

2. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Anyone with a one footed chicken?[​IMG]

3. Barbeque

Barbeque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Danville
    No ma'am, I'm sorry.
    But I'd say if it looks happy, to let it be.
    Make sure it's not getting picked on.
    If it looks lethargic or sickly, I would put it down and out of it's misery.

edit;//
    But I am under no circumstance an experienced chicken owner, so sorry if my information or opinions are wrong.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I have seen a chicken survive with only 1 foot / nub wasn't my chicken it was my MIL's chick but she ran with the best of them free range.

Good luck.

5. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    SHe's a little fighter! I thought I'd have to put her down but she's keeping up with the other three.

6. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    I've read several posts about one footed chickens and even a few with chickens who had two stumps! As long as it isn't in pain, gets around fine, isn't being severely bullied by the others, can eat, drink and all of that good stuff, I'm sure she'll do just fine! I wonder what was going on with her foot that caused it to fall off?!

7. cogorman

cogorman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    MidMissouri
    When I was a boy I used to fish off the Gaviota peir near Santa Barbara, CA. There was a brown pelican we called Henry who only had one foot. He would would walk up and down the railing, flap clack flap clack, begging for food. I don't think I ever saw him fly so I'm not sure he could, but he was there for years. He made a pretty easy living in spite of his disability. [​IMG] If a wild bird can do that, I'm sure your little chickie, with care and affection will be fine.

8. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Thanks. I'm so impressed with her. She seems to be fine with the other chicks and holds her own so I'm glad we didn't put her down. I had a similar story while on vacation last month. My kids came across a pigeon with no feet....just two stumps...they named it Pige. It got around just fine as well.

9. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    I have one who lost a foot as a chick due to frostbite. She is fine. What you will have to modify is her roost possibly. A 2x4 (with edges rounded) on the flat works.
    Dale-Ann

10. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to know where the foot went. is it all dried up in the bedding somewhere? did someone EAT it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by