2.5 year old hen acting not quite right

BeccaSmith

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Meridian, ID
Hi Everyone, I have a 2.5 year old hen that hasn't been acting quite right on and off for several months. She is a Light Brahma and I have had her and my other chickens since they were chicks and she seems smaller in size then the rest. Her symptoms are she stands around puffed up, most of the time she is off on her own and just stands, sometimes she closes her eyes. She will come running to join the rest of the girls when I bring scratch out and I offered her meal worms to see if she would eat and she did eat them. I'm not home during the day to monitor her food and water intake. She doesn't have a distended abdomen and doesn't feel like she has an egg stuck, again I am not home during the day to monitor egg laying. Her comb and wattle are red but her comb seems shrunk looking and almost a dark red in my opinion. She has no discharge from the eye's or nose and her breathing sounds fine. I've checked for lice and mites and do not find any. I did feel her crop yesterday and noticed it felt full and hard. I checked her again this morning and it still felt full. I am home today and went out to bring her in, thought maybe she has an impacted crop, her crop is still full, but it no longer feels hard, so now I don't think she has an impacted crop. I just cant' figure out what is wrong with this girl, she likes to just stand off on her own puffed up. Can anyone think of something that I am just might be missing? I know I need to worm my flock as I have seen signs of tapeworm in their stools but didn't want to give her a dewormer if her crop was impacted. Could worms be causing her to act this way?

Hi Everyone, I have a 2.5 year old hen that hasn't been acting quite right on and off for several months. I know I need to worm my flock as I have seen signs of tapeworm in their stools but didn't want to give her a dewormer if her crop was impacted. Could worms be causing her to act this way?
You have answered your own question. Worm your birds with zimectrin gold equine wormer to get rid of the tapes. Dosage is a "pea" size amount given orally to each chicken. Repeat dosing again in 10 days.

Well that was easy then! I picked up the zimectrin gold equine wormer just the other day, is it easy to administer? I've used a syringe to administer other dewormer, but I have never used a paste...I can only imagine what it will be like trying to give it to them!

Well that was easy then! I picked up the zimectrin gold equine wormer just the other day, is it easy to administer? I've used a syringe to administer other dewormer, but I have never used a paste...I can only imagine what it will be like trying to give it to them!
I think Dawg recommends just pulling down on their hackles until they open their mouth, and wipe it in.

Back
Top Bottom