2.5 YO Rhodie Hen not eating/drinking much; been very cold in NC; she was just standing fluffed up;

Four4me

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
My 2.5 YO Rhodie Hen Betsy has the following symptoms:
sad.png

* As yet another cold spell hitin our area in NC, the last 3-4 days Betsy started standing fluffed up more often and not running and gobbling up scratch/oats/veg like the other 3 when I brought it.

* Yesterday it was worse, and when I noticed her comb was discolored (purplish) compared to the other 3 and she wasn't interested in moving much, we brought her inside and set her up.

* once she got warmed up, her tail perked up and her comb reddened.

* I have only been able to temp her to eat/drink by dropping some oats in water dish which she will pick up. After some of this, she gets up and goes back to corner and lays down.

* only when I "chicken whisper" to her while eating she will coo back to me, softly, a bit.

* otherwise, she is just laying in the back being silent until I pick her up to do oats in water every few hours.

*her feathers, feet and eyes look good. Comb is back to being red.

*NOTE: do NOT yet notice output of poop in the aspen shavings.

* In spite of the cold weather, other 3 hens look and are acting normal.

I would be grateful for suggestions!! Thanks for your help.
smile.png

try to give her some water with a dash of sugar in it... it should perk her up. Food wise: if she stops eating take some chicken feed and water and mix it up really good(you can also put some sugar in that too) take a toothpick and put it on her tongue.

Thanks for the tip. Betsy molted last this summer before/after we moved, and she hasn't really laid eggs since. Before that, she's been a great layer except during molting. Can you tell me more about internal laying?

Back
Top Bottom