2 broodies together?

jakmallex

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
NC
Can 2 broody hens raise their chicks together in the same enclosure? One egg hatched today, but some of the other chickens (not the other broody) tried to kill it. I was going to put a pen around both broodies (they are due about a week apart), but I don't want any more chick harassing going on. The mother of the chick is still in "broody" mode and I'm guessing did not want to leave the nest when they were attacking the chick. The chick is in isolation under a heat lamp now, not sure if it will make it or not. I have never other chickens attack the babies before.

I don't know about other chickens killing them. Probalbly would but I have had two hens go broody and share the nest and the babies. It was so cute. They were really good at keeping the other chickens away.

Our hens and chicks have to be isolated, one hen and her brood alone, this is with our chicken and duck hens. Our other chickens have killed and eaten the chicks if they get to them. Also each hen will be very protective of her own chicks and may harm another hens chicks(or hers trying to run the other hen and chicks off). Hope your little chick makes it. I was lucky enough to catch one of our last year before they killed it. It was hurt but made it. Good luck.

I would NOT allow the two hens to try and raise chicks in the same enclosure. I have had two experiences with this--with not happy endings. The first one, the hens were both sitting in an empty storeroom, opposite corners. When one hen's chicks hatched out, they were OK for a day, and then the hen attacked and severely injured the other hen who was still sitting on eggs. Not a happy ending.

Then second experience was last summer. Two hens (sisters I think?) both sat on eggs in a dog igloo. I moved them into a chicken "jail" and they hatched out about 10 babies. Next day, both hens looked like they'd gone 10 rounds in a boxing match. One hen was blinded. (You can read my post on this if you're interested, or I can find it for you....) So one momma raised the chicks, the other went into the "hospital" where we doctored her. Thanks to the good advice from this forum, the hen is now OK. Eyes were swollen shut, not damaged.

So, separate the hens.

You know, what is so interesting is the fact that a momma hen is the epitomy of protective momma. Then one day, she'll cut loose the kids and act like she never met them. Fascinating.

I haven't had success with 2 broodies together in a small enclosure, but have had several that could co-exist in a larger pen, about 10' square. Seems that if they have enough room they won't bother each other, but they will still peck at chicks that aren't their own.

And you're right, Barbara4rb, they sure do run hot & cold. They can be so fierce & protective one day, then the next day hop over the fence to return to the flock, leaving their cheeping chicks behind.

Can you build a quick make shift separater so the hens can have their own 'area' where the chicks can see the other chickens, but they can't get to them or their momma? And the two mommas can each have their own separate area of the coop/run?

I'm going to put up a pen between them, so each has a little area that is separate from all the other chickens. Do you think when the chicks are a little bigger they can all run around together? The other little chick didn't make it, I think he was in shock when I found him.

It's weird how they're all different. My broody last year lived with the rooster that fathered the babies and they were a happy little family. The dad still lives with 2 of his sons.

I'm sorry your little chick didn't make it. I keep mine(duck/chicken hens) with babies separate until they are well big enough to get out of the way of the others. Which usually means fully feathered and about half grown for us. Unfortunately chickens are carnivorous scavengers and anything smaller than they are that moves can be considered food. Mine have kibble available all day(so they aren't hungry) but I have seen them gang up on, kill and eat frogs, snakes, mice, rats and even baby birds that fall from nests. How very unfortunate that last year it took me 1 clutch and a partial one to realize my other chickens were eating the chicks as they hatched out. Not until I found the one wounded hiding behind the nest box did it hit me like a ton of bricks. I thought the "bad' eggs were breaking and they were eating them. We live and learn. For me it's always the hard way!! Good luck with yours!!

Back
Top Bottom