2 chickens attacked by raccon this morning, saved them both.

How is the other eye? Looks like she could be in shock and unfortunately most hens that go into shock don't come out. Is she eating and drinking?

The other eye is the same. Both swollen shut, she can open one a little. She does not eat on her own and stands very little. I think she's alive because she was very healthy. Otherwise I don't think she'd be ok. I'm not home today so I can't tell if there's progress.
She eats when you force her to eat.

Oh dear. I don't think she will get through, not because of her health but she has gone into shock.

Oh you poor thing. She looks so pitiful. I don't know who to feel worse for; you or your hen! I wouldn't want to have to make the decision. Although might be kinder and easier to cull her. I couldn't do it without help though.
sad.png

I would leave her for now. She may well come out of shock but just as long as she is in shock I don't think she will feel any pain or even realise what is going on in her surroundings. There is nothing much you can do however you could try getting her to drink.

Thank you. My husband refuses to cull her. Who knows, he says she's standing, I have her pretty drugged up. I'll wait and see what happens. On his fathers ranch he couldn't stand the branding, the castrating (I might have issues with this too), and the slaughtering of any of the animals.
From very young his father always told him to go away and his grandmother would take him.

I have to admit it's a lot easier to kill for food than out of tradegy. I can't beleive I've had tears over a chicken!

I've had tears over a chicken before. He was a little dutch bantam cock and he would sit on my shoulder wherever I went and would follow me and shout at me if I didn't let him jump on. He was like a real pet though.

Back
Top Bottom