2 chicks died....sour crop?

Juno's Chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 14, 2011
Berks County
On Thursday I received my first chicks ever! So exciting! They were supposed to be day old but some of my EEs already had wing feathers sprouting.

Ive had some issues with pasty butt which seems to be resolving. (thank goodness!)

We had our first one pass last evening. Within a matter of hours it was gone. Was perching and running around the last time I saw it. No idea what happened.

I noticed my one light brahma was really droopy and weak this AM. I noticed a clicking sound with breathing. (Ive since started everyone on Sulmet just in case.) Pushed fluids and made sure was warm. When took a turn for the worse earlier today fluild was coming out of her mouth and then gross brown mush. Crop was definitely enlarged. Unfortunately she passed while trying to get everything out. Just too weak I think.

Some of my other chicks have large crops. one has that same click with breathing. Im nervous Im doing something wrong. Ive given them yogurt tonight and some olive oil to try and avoid another death.

Please, any advice would be amazing!!!! Everyone has been on sav a chick since arrival.

It sound like some kind of cold, there maybe nothing you can do. The pasty butt is because chicks don't have much of an immune system for the first couple of weeks. Sometimes chicks just die. If it's viral, it's like getting a cold yourself. Time will fix it one way or another.
hugs.gif

What are you feeding them? What are they bedded on?

It's normal for day olds to have wing feather development upon arrival. The flight feathers develop asap after hatching since they are what give the chick the ability to escape ground-bound predators.

It's possible they're eating the pine shavings which is causing an impacted and then sour crop.

I'd get them off the shavings, put them on paper towels, give them a fresh garlic mash and some very fine gravel for grit to help them process anything they may have already consumed.

I usually start my chicks on paper towels for a couple of days till they know to eat out of the feeder. Do you let them out on grass? Usually they don't get pasty butt unless they are eating things they shouldn't be. They should only be getting chick feed for the first couple of weeks, 18% medicated preferably, its not that much more expensive and helps keep them alive. If you want to give them treats after 2 weeks you can give them yogurt, plain or they get spoiled, and hard boiled eggs. OH and you can find parakeet grit and sprinkle it into their food, then they can eat whatever. Parakeet grit cost me 1.32 at walmart...when they have it.

They must have come with some ailment. Maybe try Tylan, and I don't know what else if they're vomiting. They had some pasty butt? I would def. watch to see if they poo. With pasty butt, it prevents poo from coming out, and if it got dry or blocked inside, things will back up the other end. So, check the vents, and see if they're passing poo.

The chicks should have full crops, but as a chick dies things will come out. I do agree that you need to have grit. I have also used sand in the brooder. It solves several problems at the same time.

Thanks everyone!

They were already getting chick grit. They are now on paper towels. I did that for the first day but guess it wasnt long enough.

I really hope this isnt going to be an ongoing trend with losing them. This third one is not looking good.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom