2 day old chick lost wing

Marksred

Hatching
May 5, 2021
I had 2 hens go broody at the same time. They've been doing well hatching and staying on their separate sides of the coop. One of the hens get agitated easily and will go after the other hens chicks. She grabbed one and threw it today. Then she grabbed another one and ripped its little wing clean off. Two questions, she is still sitting on a clutch of eggs? Do I risk moving her with her clutch and her 2 chicks? Also, if the little chick isn't bleeding and still was able to jump on Mama hens back, should I do anything for him? Or just leave him be?

How long until the meanie hatches hers out?

I would be moving that meanie not the one in active hatch mode.

As for the chick missing a wing I am not sure best course of action. I am sure more knowledgeable folks will be along.

Can you post pictures of the chick without the wing? You will need to immediately clean that wound out with saline solution, Clohexadine, or soapy warm water. Then, apply a thick layer of Neosporin to keep it moist.

I would also immediately separate that mean momma. I would probably set up a brooder inside, and take the injured chick's momma and her babies inside so they're separated from the aggressive hen, and you can keep the chicks wound clean.

Don't wrap the wound, that is very important. Wrapping traps bacteria in the wound and lessens air flow. Once the baby momma and siblings are moved inside, (if possible) then you can probably leave it be. You will want to reapply Neosporin everyday, and spray with Vetrycin if possible. Reapply more then once a day if you can do that as well.

Can you post pictures of the chick without the wing? You will need to immediately clean that wound out with saline solution, Clohexadine, or soapy warm water. Then, apply a thick layer of Neosporin to keep it moist.

I would also immediately separate that mean momma. I would probably set up a brooder inside, and take the injured chick's momma and her babies inside so they're separated from the aggressive hen, and you can keep the chicks wound clean.
20210505_131619.jpg

I have a box that I raised other incubated chicks in. Should I take gentle Mom and her babies inside my garage where that is? She still has some eggs she is sitting on as well that should be hatching over the next few days. And leave Mean Momma in the outside coop with her chicks and her eggs?

I have a box that I raised other incubated chicks in. Should I take gentle Mom and her babies inside my garage where that is? She still has some eggs she is sitting on as well that should be hatching over the next few days. And leave Mean Momma in the outside coop with her chicks and her eggs?
That sounds perfect. The wound doesn't look to bad, though I can't see it very well with all her fluff covering it. Bring gentle momma with her injured baby and siblings inside, wash baby's wound and apply Neosporin.
I bet she'll be just fine. :)

I looked as well as I can and it really seems like a clean wound. There was no blood at all, not even on the wing the chick lost. It's my 1st time having hens go broody and I'm learning a lot of things to do differently next time.

I looked as well as I can and it really seems like a clean wound. There was no blood at all, not even on the wing the chick lost. It's my 1st time having hens go broody and I'm learning a lot of things to do differently next time.
It looks pretty superficial. Still rinse it well and cover with Neosporin. Thats extremely important, because a superficial wound can become very serious if it gets infected, especially in a small chick.

Back
Top Bottom