2 day old chick with spraddle leg?

The problem with leaving him alone wiggling around, is that his legs will not ever come together. Splay leg in older chicks cannot be fixed. His legs look wider than most, so he might not improve if he has hip problems. But vitamins, trying to work with him, and whatever you can do may help eventually. Handling him under the heat and trying the hobbles is what I would do. My only chick with this really had a tough time at first, but eventually could walk normally.

The problem with leaving him alone wiggling around, is that his legs will not ever come together. Splay leg in older chicks cannot be fixed. His legs look wider than most, so he might not improve if he has hip problems. But vitamins, trying to work with him, and whatever you can do may help eventually. Handling him under the heat and trying the hobbles is what I would do.
I got some vitamin-boost powder that you mix with their water, and since then he’s doing much better. He can take a few steps normally, but he has trouble getting up and he gets exhausted and lays down with his legs splayed

Google splay leg treatment for chicks, and look at FreshEggsDaily and TheChickenChick.com for pics. Vet wrap strips are easy to use and can be replaced if they are not in the right place.

Maybe have someone help you apply the brace? Or just use tough love, and make it happen. He will eventually get exhausted from struggling, and will get easier to work with.
Once my chick had the brace on, he didn’t even notice it.

0283E6A0-7713-4FFA-937F-80BD5C24C8CD.jpeg

When I woke up this morning he had passed away...

Now I have one baby quail left. He is screaming and I feel so bad. What can I do? My Quails aren’t laying yet so I can’t hatch another. And I don’t know many people around me that have Quails :( please help!

Back
Top Bottom