2 Day Old Muscovy Duckling Having Seizures?? Please Help...........

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
I incubated several of my Muscovy's eggs and have beautiful babies...4 of them...Momma Muscovy 'Pia' has the others....

ok ,they were born Saturday and about 1/2 hour ago one of the babies started 'flipping'...rearing up on its toes and then
flipping backwards or onto its back and seemily unable to get up...its little legs straight out and it chirpping away...

he just keeps doing this over and over but has slowed down in the last 10 minutes os so...

is he having a seizure?? is there anything I can do or do I need to put it out of its misery?? this behavior is new to me.......

have put by itself but any help is welcomed...

Niacin deficiency can cause this - try 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of water. If that makes a difference, keep the baby on that for about eight to ten weeks.

Another thing that can cause that is toxoplasmosis, I have been told. But as young as this duckling is, I doubt it has been anywhere cats have been yet - but I wanted to mention the possibility.

Or, perhaps it has ingested something toxic. Powdered activated charcoal (the medicinal kind - available in capsules) can bind some toxins, and can be put in the ducklings' water.

Thanks for your input however my little duckling has died:hit

all I can say at this point is he won't be hurting anymore...you know that all of that flipping had to
be so very hard on his little body...I had put him in a 'donut' of sorts and that was keeping him upright
but feel his young body just wasn't strong enough...

glad to report that his litter mates are all doing well
fl.gif
and hope they continue to grow big and strong!

So sorry to read of your loss.
hugs.gif

You might just want to scan the areas they spend time in for anything potentially toxic, and give them all vitamins/probiotics/electrolytes, just to keep their little immune systems strong.

So sorry to hear this. Sometimes these things just happen.

A severe bump to the head, falling from a large height, or having something fall on them can cause the flipping and such. Your description of his actions sounds more like some sort of trauma. They also do this just before they die for whatever reason caused them to die.

Back
Top Bottom