2 days and 6 dead chickens later ugh!

No on light bulbs, definitely hardware disease is a possibility - but I don't thing 6 birds at once.
Eating a bunch of glass would be the only type of hardware disease that I think would hit multiple birds at once with relatively rapid death. Otherwise you are still on track for a poison.

Have you considered doing autopsy to look for extensive internal bleeding?

Yes, I think I will open up a crop and see what is in there. I wasn't going to, but it would be better to know.
I would check anterior and posterior intestine as well. Gizzard may not grind glass properly. The intestines might show extensive bleeding from internal bleeding caused by rodenticide.

What does the rodenticide look like? You might be able to see chunks of it in the crop. Or find mice, especially young, killed by it.

I have already contacted my county farm agent about something like this happening to me. She said bring her the dead birds asap for testing.

@Mrs. K, is it possible to have a proper exam/testing done by your local county farm agent? That would be my first choice, if available as an option. If not, then I would cut the chicken(s) up looking for clues on my own. Hope you find the cause of this situation.

Yes, I think I will open up a crop and see what is in there. I wasn't going to, but it would be better to know.
Look at more than the crop.

I would check anterior and posterior intestine as well. Gizzard may not grind glass properly. The intestines might show extensive bleeding from internal bleeding caused by rodenticide.
Yes, open up the whole bird and examine all organs.

I did open two birds - found nothing but normal, little fatter than I thought birds.

The crop is full in two different birds - scratch and layer feed, and traced with a little green grass - which is what I would expect, why I let them out, hardly any green - had to scrounge for it. The organs look just like any other organs at butcher time. No blood, livers looked good, no damage to the intestines.... no smell, no swelling, no blockage.... just normal looking organs.

In fact, if they weren't dead, I would think they are perfectly healthy.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom