2 days and 6 dead chickens later ugh!

So sorry to hear about your losses. Not all of the rat poisons are anti-coagulant, some cause swelling of the brain and act a little faster. Since the clotting factors are made in the liver, the liver and intestines probably should look fine if it was some other type of rat poison. You'd have to read the label to know which type of poison, and therefore what, if any, signs to expect at necropsy. I'd suggest "kid proof/pet proof" bait stations, but I don't have any raccoon experience...

So sorry to hear about your losses. Not all of the rat poisons are anti-coagulant, some cause swelling of the brain and act a little faster. Since the clotting factors are made in the liver, the liver and intestines probably should look fine if it was some other type of rat poison. You'd have to read the label to know which type of poison, and therefore what, if any, signs to expect at necropsy. I'd suggest "kid proof/pet proof" bait stations, but I don't have any raccoon experience...
I would not be able to ID something going after nervous system because no reference or experience looking to such issues. That is where a pro needed.

Oh, you poor thing. I think it's important for you to know the cause of death for any future chickens and at least for some kind of peace of mind for you. A necropsy is definitely in order. I'm sure you don't want to spend the money, but if you want to keep having chickens, it's really important that you find the cause. Again, I'm so sorry. They are worth it, but when I've had things happen like this I start to question it too. I just put one foot in front of the other and keep moving, learning as I go. I have no doubt that I want them, because they bring me joy and of course delicious eggs! I do hope you will come back and post once you figured out what it is.

I am thinking maybe rodent poison. Not in my coop of course, but up in the cattle barn, we had quite a problem. It has been so nice, I have been letting the chickens out to roam.They generally don't roam clear to the cattle barn, but they must have. My husband found some that had been drugged out from where he had it, he thought he had it all picked up. I am going to look really hard all around tomorrow. It sucks that it was my chickens, but it was not my grand children.

We generally are very careful with this stuff. But coons can be very handy. We will be looking carefully.

As for the birds, they were not stressed and absolutely no sign of sickness. They literally just looked asleep.
We to have the rat poison contained. But the coons got into it and scattered it and packed it out. Coons can get into nearly anything. So darn discouraging. DH had found some, and of course picked it up.

This is an old ranch, and we do have old buildings, so hoping to tear some of those down...but we considered it, and the birds have been out and about for 15 years on occasion. I don't free range every day, but occasionally. I do let them get out.

I am going to be looking very carefully today. Ugh! Most my flock, left with the rooster and an old hen, going to be buying eggs for some time to come. Dang it. Today, the grandkids are here and I am scrapping the plates, thinking to feed the chickens...well 2 are not going to eat much, and I am rather scared to go down and see if I HAVE two left. What a wreck.

MRs K

So sorry about the losses to your flock.

One thing to remember about rat poison is that your chickens don't necessarily need to get into the poison itself to be harmed. If they peck at/eat a dying or dead rat, they'll be poisoned, too.

A friend of ours almost lost his Australian Shepherd to rat poisoning this way.

So sorry about the losses to your flock.

One thing to remember about rat poison is that your chickens don't necessarily need to get into the poison itself to be harmed. If they peck at/eat a dying or dead rat, they'll be poisoned, too.

A friend of ours almost lost his Australian Shepherd to rat poisoning this way.
I think Mrs. K has a very good handle on the finer points.

We had a female Dalmation that got into similar problem eating rats at the neighbors hog farm. Neighbor gave us a heads up and dog was treated by vet promptly.

Well I am pretty positive they didn't eat the rat poison unless it was days ago. I think that traces would be in the crop. It is highly colored. I have a call into the vet to see what they think, course, just a large animal vet... but what we have.

As for the other two, they seem quiet, but fine. I was nervous about going down there today. I am hoping they are just discombobulated by missing so many other hens. They do seem subdued.

As for going on, I have had chickens for years here, I will be going on. May look around and see a new breed. I am keeping a sharp eye out, even went through some old abandoned buildings, but really don't see anything - and there is only one the birds seem to like. Looks just like always (how does one get so much junk? Course a lot was before us)

Thank you for your suggestions and sympathy. My DH is looking up diseases, but they were not sick. I have had birds for years, and there is no way possible I would not have noticed 6 sick birds. Even just checking them morning and night. It has to be a toxin, I just don't think it was the rat poison now.

Mrs K

I have a call into the vet to see what they think, course, just a large animal vet... but what we have.
I know this must be overwhelming and frustrating.
Just in case you need it, here is the contact and website info to your state lab. It may be worth giving them a call as well. (most labs someone is there on weekends )

Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic Laboratory
Box 2175, 1155 North Campus Drive
South Dakota State University
Brookings, SD 57007-1396

Telephone: 605-688-5171
https://www.sdstate.edu/veterinary-...al-disease-research-and-diagnostic-laboratory

Back
Top Bottom