2 days and 6 dead chickens later ugh!

Well as I am pretty sure I have the only chickens in 30 miles, I think that is a quarantine, and yes I am checking on the two remaining birds... but I do not think this was an illness. I have had chickens for decades, and I would recognize if 6 birds were sick. No coughing, no depression, no drooping, no lethargic action, no nasal discharge, good feather color, active birds.

I am a bit concerned about the rooster. I have not let them out since Friday, so it would not be an additional exposure. He is bright eyed, squatted down, like he was basking in the sun, only he is in the coop in the dark. He did get up and walk out, but a little slower, like he had just been woken up.

No distress at all, feathers look glorious, erect carriage, no breathing issues, no drainage from nostrils or eyes. Eyes are bright. If you asked me, looking at him, I would say he is fine. Maybe I am gun shy, but...??? being in the coop in the middle of the day is not right.

I put a call into the vet, course they can't tell me anything without seeing a bird, and it is a 45 mile trip in the opposite direction of work. Today is Sunday, tomorrow I work. Not quite sure I can ask my DH to take him in. We will see.

Very discouraging.

Mrs K

I'm so sorry!
If it was that oat pile, do you know what was the toxin?
I think having a necropsy would be best; try calling the state vet lab tomorrow about it. Chilled, not frozen, and could be shipped to them.
Another thought; save their feed, in plastic, in original bag, at least until you talk to the vet tomorrow. Consider calling the feed company; Some will want to know that it was or wasn't their product, and will want some, including lot numbers, for testing. A mycotoxin could do this and not leave a lot of evidence. Botulism too.
Mary

Thank you all for your support, I am truly going to miss this flock.

I am thinking one hen left, and she is perky, now what to do? I so like having chickens, and to basically do a start over. What kind? Of course at different times, I have thought, if I had to do it over again, I would..." but all those thoughts have seem to have left me.

Ugh!

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom