2 different types of diarrhea, treated for tapeworm 2 weeks ago and not sure how to proceed (Pics attached)

Southnjchicks

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2023
Video of behaviorYesterday my 4 year old barred rock hen seemed fine in the morning but by noon she was lethargic, showed no interest in food or water, and spent most of the day sitting or standing, fluffed up and looking really sick. This morning she was slow to come out of coop, but I made her some oatmeal with a tiny spoonful of Greek yogurt and she gobbled it right down and spent the day happily running around with the rest of the flock. I thought she was out of the woods! But I’ve been tracking her droppings, and all day long they’ve been liquid-y with some small green solids. My other two girls have been acting fine, but then shortly before dusk my Rhode island red had explosive diarrhea that looked like pure water and my buff (at least I think it was her, could have been the barred rock I didn’t see it happen) had diarrhea that had like a cecal brown component but also black stuff? I’m freaking out, does that look like internal bleeding?!

Relevant info: 12 days ago I treated all 3 with Equimax paste following advice from this forum because one of them pooped out some tapeworms. I was going to follow up with their 2nd dose tomorrow, but I’m not sure if I should proceed if there’s something else going on. I’m going to call a few vets tomorrow to see if anyone is able to see a chicken, but in the meantime, any advice?

I would do your follow up treatment with the equimax, since it will get the worm eggs that have hatched. Those look like cecal poops, at least the last one does. There might be one or more tapeworm segments. Check your hen’s crop in early morning to make sure that it has emptied.

I would do your follow up treatment with the equimax, since it will get the worm eggs that have hatched. Those look like cecal poops, at least the last one does. There might be one or more tapeworm segments. Check your hen’s crop in early morning to make sure that it has emptied.
@Eggcessive thanks for the advice. I did give the follow up equimax treatment this morning, so I'm hoping that helps. Crop seemed fine this morning as well.

Wormers can negatively affect the flora in the gut. So the yogurt helps. But if you're in an area that's sporting 90°+, the heat, wormer and GI imbalance can cause diarrhea leading to dehydration.

This page has a number of things you can do to stop the diahrrea.

https://agraryo.com/poultry/chicken-diarrhea-home-remedy-5-tips-you-must-know/
@Mason Farm and Ranch thanks for the advice! Yes it has been in the high 80s and humid here. I'm familiar with heat related diarrhea and have been giving ACV in water daily and occasional electrolytes during hot days. I was concerned that the high worm load created conditions for some kind of other infection. Coccidiosis maybe? I've never experienced that with my small flock before. I called a vet this morning to get a fecal test done but they told me they can't do a fecal test unless they physically examine the hen first. I feel like a long car ride on a hot day for a trip to the vet might be too stressful right now.

@Mason Farm and Ranch thanks for the advice! Yes it has been in the high 80s and humid here. I'm familiar with heat related diarrhea and have been giving ACV in water daily and occasional electrolytes during hot days. I was concerned that the high worm load created conditions for some kind of other infection. Coccidiosis maybe? I've never experienced that with my small flock before. I called a vet this morning to get a fecal test done but they told me they can't do a fecal test unless they physically examine the hen first. I feel like a long car ride on a hot day for a trip to the vet might be too stressful right now.
Keep in mind, it is possible for them to have multiple issues at once.

Long ago in a land far away.....My flock had Coccidiosis and roundworms at the same time. It was indeed a learning experience.

@Eggcessive @dawg53 @Mason Farm and Ranch Mind if I pick your brains for more worming advice? I administered the 2nd dose of Equimax on July 24th and thought all was well. All hens perked up and seemed back to normal within 24 hours. I’ve been noticing more diarrhea, and upon examining one pile found about 8 or so tape worm segments wiggling around. Might be related, my buff Orpington (not the hen that produced the tapeworm poop) has been extremely sick for the past 4 days. Lethargic, puffed up, tail down, diarrhea, all the classic sick chicken symptoms. She’s been producing this watery diarrhea with a lot of white in it that almost looks like cooked egg whites. I have been putting Corid in the water the past 3 days as I figured it couldn’t hurt, and today she finally perked up and rejoined the flock, and more importantly ate some food. I’ve been giving her plenty of fluids and bits of scrambled egg but she had only had a few tiny bites over 2 days until today when she finally showed interest in food again. I’ve been obsessively monitoring her poop and have not noticed any tape segments. So, for my question here, do you continue to administer a 3rd and 4th dose of Equimax if tape segments are still appearing and hens are having diarrhea? Do you think I should switch tactics and try to deworm with Safeguard in case they’re battling multiple worms? I’ve had 4 years of excellent health with my flock and have never wormed them, I’m at a total loss for what conditions have changed for them to be getting sick so often now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Insects are the host/vector for tapeworms. You only have to use the Equimax with the bird that excreted the tapeworm segments.
Safeguard will not treat tapeworms.
Birds drink alot of water in hot temps and can get the runs. Give plain boiled white rice mixed in feed to eat for several days. It will help settle the innards and should stop diarrhea. Do not give any treats or supplements, layer feed only along with the rice.

Insects are the host/vector for tapeworms. You only have to use the Equimax with the bird that excreted the tapeworm segments.
Safeguard will not treat tapeworms.
Birds drink alot of water in hot temps and can get the runs. Give plain boiled white rice mixed in feed to eat for several days. It will help settle the innards and should stop diarrhea. Do not give any treats or supplements, layer feed only along with the rice.
Is it harmful to do another 2 rounds of Equimax so soon after the first deworming? Last dose was 2 weeks ago.

Go ahead and dose her. When you give her the Equimax, give it to her early in the morning before she eats. The wormer will be more effective eliminating the tapeworms on an empty stomach. After you dose her, wait at least 2 hours before feeding her.
Watch her feces if you can, you might actually see pieces or strands of the tapeworm(s) excreted.

Back
Top Bottom