2 ducklings aggressively ganging up on my adult duck

To add to Frankie's laundry list of feet issues: she tore her dew claw on her right foot. The nail is bent completely straight up. I noticed the blood when I went to change her booty. The bleeding stopped luckily, and I now bandage that nail after spraying Vetericyn and applying SSD. The nail looks like it's about to fall off, which is good. I feel like she deserves a medal of toughness after all of this! I think she caught it coming out of her run. I was about to bring her into the vet again, but didn't want to stress her out yet again.

Attachments

• 20220809_193021.jpg
    20220809_193021.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 9
Now Demeter started limping on her right foot 🤦‍♀️ We checked all their feet, and nothing looked abnormal with Demeter's. I guess booties are going on all of them once it cools off.
Frankie's toenail is sticking straight up, but hasn't fallen off yet. It's not swollen or infected. We keep it bandaged all the time. Luckily it's not bleeding, so we're going to continue to leave it alone.
I'm learning very quickly ducks tootsies are delicate! Demeter is also growing pin feathers on her lower right leg. Interesting 🤔

They can so easily sprain a leg I have found that with my Runners[ they call them Runners because they rarely walk.] So I usually end up with a few each year limping. Rest and vitamin support seems to work here.
I have also seen some pic here of ducks having some feather growth on their legs so it's nothing to worry about.

They can so easily sprain a leg I have found that with my Runners[ they call them Runners because they rarely walk.] So I usually end up with a few each year limping. Rest and vitamin support seems to work here.
I have also seen some pic here of ducks having some feather growth on their legs so it's nothing to worry about.
Thank you Lydia!
Demeter is a wild one, and loves sprinting across the yard and dive bombing into their pools! Her limp isn't getting worse, and luckily with Frankie's foot accommodations, Demeter is housed in a very padded run at night.
Frankie just lost a ton of flight feathers today. That explains her grumpyness the last few days! I feel bad holding her to bandage her foot, since I'm sure her wings are sensitive right now. She also stopped laying 5 days ago. Her tootsie and broken nail are still doing well. She's become a pro at her foot soaks too. She even falls asleep resting her head on my hand during it 💗

Attachments

• 1660444334364.png
    1660444334364.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Maybe wrapping her in a towel for soaking would help with the being sensitive to feathers coming in. Such a sweet picture. :love
We used a towel, and it definitely seemed to help.
An update on her biopsy toe: I noticed a black circle scab on the side of her toe. When I pulled it off with tweezers a bunch of yellow sticky discharge came out. I've emailed her vet, and hope I hear back tomorrow. Maybe we can culture the discharge and get an answer. It worries me though, that there's infection going on even since her biopsy came back as only infection.
It is her 1 year birthday today! We celebrated with minnows and mealworms 💕

Attachments

• 20220816_174955.jpg
    20220816_174955.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220816_174955.jpg
    20220816_174955.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220816_175213.jpg
    20220816_175213.jpg
    769.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220816_175213.jpg