QuailTail

Songster
Aug 21, 2021
NSW Mid North Coast, Australia
Hey folks!

So I got my first egg yesterday (hooray!!) after 3 weeks in their new home. Very exciting.
And then today I got a second egg (double hooray!!).

My question is, are they from the same hen? I know that hens are supposed to lay almost identical eggs (right?) so I'm confused because I really expected that if I did get a second egg today it would be from the same hen, but the eggs look quite different. The darker spotty egg (on the right) is from yesterday and the egg with the calcium deposits (left) is from today. They look very different to me. I also feel like the chances of two hens laying consecutively are quite low when none of them have been laying until now?

Also, the calcium deposits - do I need to do anything if this continues, like change feed etc, or is this ok?

20211009_153654.jpg

20211009_153559.jpg

20211009_153708.jpg

20211009_153714.jpg

Hey folks!

So I got my first egg yesterday (hooray!!) after 3 weeks in their new home. Very exciting.
And then today I got a second egg (double hooray!!).

My question is, are they from the same hen? I know that hens are supposed to lay almost identical eggs (right?) so I'm confused because I really expected that if I did get a second egg today it would be from the same hen, but the eggs look quite different. The darker spotty egg (on the right) is from yesterday and the egg with the calcium deposits (left) is from today. They look very different to me. I also feel like the chances of two hens laying consecutively are quite low when none of them have been laying until now?

Also, the calcium deposits - do I need to do anything if this continues, like change feed etc, or is this ok?

View attachment 2859920

View attachment 2859922
View attachment 2859923

View attachment 2859921
They don’t lay identical, they lay eggs with similar amount of spots, size of spots and colour. So one quail might lay eggs with very large brown smudged looking spots, another quail will lay eggs with lots of small all most black spots with a few slightly larger spots. Those might be from the same quail or might not

You can go out and look at the vents, if this was their first ever egg, the new layers will have much wider vents than the others. If they were laying before you got them, this won’t help tho.

Back
Top Bottom