2 eggs a day!:(

ADuckOnQuack

Chirping
May 20, 2016
England
Obviously here in England it's winter. We're only having 8 hours of daylight and currently collecting 2 eggs between 23 chickens. Whereas before he used to have 17 a day! I was just wondering what you guys do over winter to keep the egg surply up? I know about putting a light in there coop for extra hours of light but does that actually work and what else is there I can do? Thanks in advance

Light in there should help.Ive heard that cayenne pepper will get them laying in the winter.Are they molting right now?

Last edited:
It's the number of hours of daylight. The only hens that are not all that affected are the first year layers. That's why commercial chicken ranches cull at the first molt, and bring in the younger generation. Plus, they use artificial lighting.

I believe the light requirement is 12-14 hours.

I will add however that we put a 60 watt bulb in the barn and have it on a timer to make up for our lost daylight - it's not making a bit of difference this year, although last year I think it helped some.

Out of my 20+ chickens, I am only getting 4 or less eggs per day. Having the same problem!! I am thinking it might be diet related. Our feed mill recently closed and we started buy our feeding from the local ag store. Obviously the quality is not as good. I have not tried the pepper - anyone know how much you add to the feed?

I turn on a light at 5am
and dim it around 9am to act as a nightlight at sunset so the girls can see to hop onto the roost. I shut off the light when I lock up the coop a half hour after sunset or when I get home, which ever is later. I also light up the run in the morning with 2 60 watt equivalent LEDs at 5am.
Sunset here is 4:20 today. I got 34 eggs this week from my 5 35 week old red sex-links.
Make sure the LED is the dimmable kind if your using a dimmer. Increase the light no more than 10 minutes a day, 1 hour per week.
Proper nutrition is important too. GC

Last edited:
I turn on a light at 5am and dim it around 9am to act as a nightlight at sunset so the girls can see to hop onto the roost. I shut off the light when I lock up the coop a half hour after sunset or when I get home, which ever is later. I also light up the run in the morning with 2 60 watt equivalent LEDs at 5am. Sunset here is 4:20 today. I got 34 eggs this week from my 5 35 week old red sex-links.
Make sure the LED is the dimmable kind if your using a dimmer. Increase the light no more than 10 minutes a day, 1 hour per week.
Proper nutrition is important too. GC
So you're not using a timer? Inconsistent lighting can cause problems.
Is your pop door open for access to run 24/7?
Your high production hybrid pullets would probably lay all thru their first winter without lights..next year might be a different story, get a timer.

Last edited:
So you're not using a timer?  Inconsistent lighting can cause problems.
Is your pop door open for access to run 24/7?
Your high production hybrid pullets would probably lay all thru their first winter without lights..next year might be a different story, get a timer.
That's why I dim it at 9am. It's no brighter than a 4 watt nightlight, I shut it off last night around 5pm and I could leave it on all night tonight without changing their laying behavior. It allows them to see but not bright enough to affect the Pineal gland. One reason I don't use a timer is sunset changes. I don't add light in the evening to stimulate egg laying, only in the morning. The nightlight is only so they can see to hop up to the roost at sunset. In the morning I turn on the lights at 5am when I open the coop and give them their first snack and fresh water, seven days a week. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom